Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Needing help/advice, please

Posted by justlinda (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 31, 12 at 17:17

This marigold carnival glass vase I just inherited is quite old, and I've noticed some 'air' bubbles. These can't be felt either inside or outside and do not seem to compromise the integrity of the vase (like leaking). I'm wondering if these air bubbles have anything to do with how old it may be?
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Needing help/advice, please

Well....sort of....
It indicates it's hand made....but doesn't tell when.
Lets see more of the vase.....don't think it's carnival, which was pressed glass. Yours looks blown.
Can we see the whole thing and the bottom?
Linda c

o

They came in a pair, my sister got one and I got one. Unfortunately the one I got is damaged, but the memories are still there :). I can feel 3 distinct "seams", as if it were made in three sections.

I realize that it is not worth a whole heck of a lot, but my mother-memories are worth millions!
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

o

Fenton would consider this Carnival glass. They produced a very similar vase in the flute pattern in their iridyll (sic?) glass, later known as Carnival. Your's may even be Fenton.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fenton Fluted vases

o

Fenton made early carnival and continued to make that iridescent glass until...don't know when maybe 1970?
The later Fenton is somewhat heavier than the early stuff...
Beacuse of the bubbles and the clear area at the bottom...I am thinking it's not Fenton....but for sure it's good old carnival!
When I asked for pictures I was thinking perhaps favrile.....but I see not.
Linda C

o

I'm thinking it's not Fenton for the same reason, but the double drape at the bottom under the fluting makes me think it bears consideration. My point was that carnival was more than pressed glass. That term is applied to most any iridescent glass with metallic over clear, and particularly that type popular in the 20s and 30s, of which this would be a prime example. You bet this was blown, it was blown into a mould and then the top worked hot.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here