Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
haroldinglendale

Help with painting.

HaroldinGlendale
10 years ago

Here is a water color I believe by Paul Richards that I found in a thrift store probably 30 years ago.

Comments (10)

• HaroldinGlendale
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And here is the signature.

• jemdandy
    10 years ago

That signature says: Paul Richards, so what's your question? Are you concerned that its a fake?

• HaroldinGlendale
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry. The "I believe" is for it being a water color, not the signature.

• mfrog
    10 years ago

Are you asking if it's a watercolour or a print? You would have to look at it with a loupe or magnifying glass & see if it's painted or print. I tried enlarging it as much as I could, but can't tell definitively. Take it to an auction house or art gallery, they will be able to tell you. mfrog

• HaroldinGlendale
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for trying. I also wanted to find out about the artist. Cant locate anything about him on tthe Internet.

• jemdandy
    10 years ago

The link below to a WIKI pedia entry is informative.

Here is a link that might be useful: Paul Richards

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

I don't think the BBC's Paul Richards is the painter of this. They styles are too different.

If you can identify the cathedral in the background that might aim you at a lesser known artist of the same name. Palm trees,

There are bazillions of undocumented artists out there. Many of them are quite good. I'd frame it and enjoy it.

• HaroldinGlendale
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks all. I just found this info on the Internet which could be my Paul Richards since I am in Phoenix and found this painting in a Phoenix thrift store. Would this be considered a Watergraph (serigraph)?:

"An exciting new talent on the contemporary art scene, Paul Richards, now resides in Phoenix, Arizona. Born in 1939, Paul has spent his entire life in the creative environment of the Western United Sates.
    Art Majors in Arizona State University and the California College of Arts & Crafts and then to specialized work in watercolor media. The recipient of numerous National and International awards through his development of the Watergraph (serigraph) technique."

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

Serigraph is a silkscreen.

He also did watercolors. Without a hands-on with a magnifying lens exam of the picture it is impossible to tell what you have.

However, the signature is quite close.

Explains the watergraph process ... and if it's larger than anything Polaroid ever made, it can't be a "Watergraph".

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Watergraphs%3A+exploring+the+world+of+art+with+instant+photography....-a0105555853

• Andrea Clover
    2 years ago

I also just purchased a paul richards oil painting and it has that very excerp on the back of my painting as well. This was also orginaly purchased in AZ and the brought it to VA with them they had had it for 25 years and i picked it up at the sunflower festival here.