Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need information on Chippendale Cabinet

Posted by Chickenmom2013 (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 9, 13 at 16:24

Hello! I was wondering if anyone had any information on this piece of furniture. I am told it is a Chippendale secretary cabinet, or something like that. I am thinking of selling it and am not sure of value, etc.

Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need information on Chippendale Cabinet

Oh, that's a pretty piece...envy, envy :-)

o

Can you show a picture of how the front of the drawer attaches to the side of the drawer? The dovetailing.

And a closeup with a better camera and lighting of the details of the wood banding?

Have you looked on all surfaces for a maker's mark or store stamp?

It looks like one of the many Chippendale style secretary-desks made in the 1920s, 30s, 40s etc. It appears to be higher class than most: the 2-tone banding, what looks like crotch veneer on the drawers ... that's good detail.

It's a useful size, looks to be in good condition ... it depends on what the demand in your area is. Check consignment shops and Craigslist for comparables.

o

It is nice. These were popular in the 30ties and 40ties. Not a great amount of value. Maybe $1,500.

o

It's Regency(if UK) Empire (If French) or Federal (if USA), but we have to presume that it's a 20th century revival, not a priceless original. The style is 40 years after chippendale.
It's also very lovely and desirable IMO. It's slim enough to put in any room. Probably glow like an ember if waxed and buffed out.
Casey

o

also called a "secretary bookcase"

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here