Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Emblem on back of chair

Posted by chepworth (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 2, 14 at 15:17

Can someone please help me identify the emblem on the back of this chair. I want to sell it, but I don't know how to describe it on the ad. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Emblem on back of chair

It's English. It's called and Ern.

o

Splat back with Urn decoration (not sure what an "Ern" is :) mfrog

o

Ern is old English.

o

Ern is ''Old'' English. he want's to sell the chair. Selling with Urn sounds like a funeral Urn.

o

"Ern" is not old English. An urn is a vase-shaped vessel, nothing more, nothing less. Just because cremains are stored in funerary urns does not make them all off-putting.
Selling it with a poorly spelled description is more likely to put off potential buyers because then they might wonder what else is incorrect about the description.

o

I suggest you check ''Ern''

o

Even if "ern" is the correct old english term, I don't think most people would know what it was, as old english is rarely used these days.
Most would understand an urn & I don't think most people would automatically go to funereal urn. mfrog

o

In Scotland, an "ern" is a very large bird of prey, a sea eagle. I would not want to buy a chair that had one of them on the back.

The thing on the back of the chair is an "urn" in the English of today.

Nice looking chair!

o

It's shaped much more like a tureen. And everyone known what that is.
Casey

o

"I suggest you check ''Ern''"
Yup, just did, and it's not in the Oxford, the Cambridge, (and if anyone knew what "old" English was, I would think Oxford or Cambridge would have an idea), Merriam Webster or a number of other online dictionaries.
I suggest you get your head out of wherever it is.

This post was edited by colleenoz on Tue, Mar 4, 14 at 1:24

o

Thank you for all your responses. I can't find anything on the internet with all the helpful responses as to what to list this chair's style, age, origin. It was a gift from an old boyfriend and I don't want to ask him! Any help would be appreciated.

o

In the original post you asked us to help identify the emblem on the back. Your single photo doesn't help us see the turning on the front. I can't even tell if it's a rocking chair or not. It looks to be from the 20's or 30's, but without some better photos.... But I can tell you that this style is not selling well. mfrog

o

Here is a side view of the rocker. I spent hours on the internet on Sunday w/o any success in finding anything similar, that's why I'm hoping to get a more experienced opinion so that I can sell this fairly. Thanks for responding again.

o

It appears to be a 20's - 40's rocking chair with a splat back on it, the style didn't change much for a number of years. The finish is mahogany but it's probably made of maple, birch or another hardwood. During the depression era, furniture makers used cheaper woods & the finishers would make it look like it was better than it was. It's got a nice look to it, but this style is not popular right now.
Not sure where you are trying to sell this, but $100 would be a retail price in my area. Have you gone looking in shops in your area to see what rocking chairs are selling for? mfrog

o

Looks like a nice sturdy rocker & I can see it used by young mom to rock her baby. Nice in sewing room or guest bedroom too or on porch in summer, may not be in style as far as antiques go but a good rocker is always nice to have. Good Luck!

o

Thank you for your responses, I'll keep you posted on how I make out.

o

Erne or ern:

From old english referring to any of several sea eagles of Europe and Greenland.

Here is a link that might be useful: Erne or Ern

o

Is that related to a bittern? (another bird, one I actually know)
Casey

o

The Sea Eagle is not related to the Bittern by habit or form.

The bittern likes to stand in tall grass of wetlands. When it wishes to hide, it holds its beak skyward and is hard to pick out in tall grass.

The Sea Eagle, much like the American Bald Eagle, is a fish eater. Both have beaks and claws adapted to jerking fish out of water and tearing the prey apart.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here