Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chepworth_gw

Emblem on back of chair

chepworth
10 years ago

Can someone please help me identify the emblem on the back of this chair. I want to sell it, but I don't know how to describe it on the ad. Thanks.

Comments (19)

• CrazyIke
    10 years ago

It's English. It's called and Ern.

• mfrog
    10 years ago

Splat back with Urn decoration (not sure what an "Ern" is :) mfrog

• CrazyIke
    10 years ago

Ern is old English.

• CrazyIke
    10 years ago

Ern is ''Old'' English. he want's to sell the chair. Selling with Urn sounds like a funeral Urn.

• colleenoz
    10 years ago

"Ern" is not old English. An urn is a vase-shaped vessel, nothing more, nothing less. Just because cremains are stored in funerary urns does not make them all off-putting.
    Selling it with a poorly spelled description is more likely to put off potential buyers because then they might wonder what else is incorrect about the description.

• CrazyIke
    10 years ago

I suggest you check ''Ern''

• mfrog
    10 years ago

Even if "ern" is the correct old english term, I don't think most people would know what it was, as old english is rarely used these days.
    Most would understand an urn & I don't think most people would automatically go to funereal urn. mfrog

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

In Scotland, an "ern" is a very large bird of prey, a sea eagle. I would not want to buy a chair that had one of them on the back.

The thing on the back of the chair is an "urn" in the English of today.

Nice looking chair!

• sombreuil_mongrel
    10 years ago

It's shaped much more like a tureen. And everyone known what that is.
    Casey

• colleenoz
    10 years ago

"I suggest you check ''Ern''"
    Yup, just did, and it's not in the Oxford, the Cambridge, (and if anyone knew what "old" English was, I would think Oxford or Cambridge would have an idea), Merriam Webster or a number of other online dictionaries.
    I suggest you get your head out of wherever it is.

This post was edited by colleenoz on Tue, Mar 4, 14 at 1:24

• chepworth
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for all your responses. I can't find anything on the internet with all the helpful responses as to what to list this chair's style, age, origin. It was a gift from an old boyfriend and I don't want to ask him! Any help would be appreciated.

• mfrog
    10 years ago

In the original post you asked us to help identify the emblem on the back. Your single photo doesn't help us see the turning on the front. I can't even tell if it's a rocking chair or not. It looks to be from the 20's or 30's, but without some better photos.... But I can tell you that this style is not selling well. mfrog

• chepworth
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is a side view of the rocker. I spent hours on the internet on Sunday w/o any success in finding anything similar, that's why I'm hoping to get a more experienced opinion so that I can sell this fairly. Thanks for responding again.

• mfrog
    10 years ago

It appears to be a 20's - 40's rocking chair with a splat back on it, the style didn't change much for a number of years. The finish is mahogany but it's probably made of maple, birch or another hardwood. During the depression era, furniture makers used cheaper woods & the finishers would make it look like it was better than it was. It's got a nice look to it, but this style is not popular right now.
    Not sure where you are trying to sell this, but $100 would be a retail price in my area. Have you gone looking in shops in your area to see what rocking chairs are selling for? mfrog

• sunnyca_gw
    10 years ago

Looks like a nice sturdy rocker & I can see it used by young mom to rock her baby. Nice in sewing room or guest bedroom too or on porch in summer, may not be in style as far as antiques go but a good rocker is always nice to have. Good Luck!

• chepworth
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for your responses, I'll keep you posted on how I make out.

• jemdandy
    10 years ago

Erne or ern:

From old english referring to any of several sea eagles of Europe and Greenland.

Here is a link that might be useful: Erne or Ern

• sombreuil_mongrel
    10 years ago

Is that related to a bittern? (another bird, one I actually know)
    Casey

• jemdandy
    10 years ago

The Sea Eagle is not related to the Bittern by habit or form.

The bittern likes to stand in tall grass of wetlands. When it wishes to hide, it holds its beak skyward and is hard to pick out in tall grass.

The Sea Eagle, much like the American Bald Eagle, is a fish eater. Both have beaks and claws adapted to jerking fish out of water and tearing the prey apart.