Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What would you do to this footstool?

Posted by alisande (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 23, 10 at 14:45

I found this footstool at an antique shop, and plan to make a new cover for it. (I'm a rug hooker.) But what should I do to improve the look of the wood?

Thanks!

Susan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What would you do to this footstool?

Wash it with mineral spirits, let it dry and rub on some Minwax antique oil finish....which is a linseed oil finish with dryers.
So....you're a happy hooker are you?LOL!
It will be much improved by a hand done top...needle point, hooked or embroidered...
It's a really cute stool!

Linda C

o

Thanks, Linda. I knew I could count on you.

I gave a rug hooking talk and demonstration at the library last week, and I started by saying, "Let's get the hooker jokes over with, shall we? I am a happy hooker." LOL

o

Do something about those exposed screw heads too. Counter sink them and use buttons to cover them up.

o

I wondered about those. I can tell I'd never be able to countersink them. Can't we say they have a certain rustic charm? :-)

o

Nope....those screw heads are in keeping with the whole rustics look....I have seen many many of that stool's brothers and they all have the screw heads....don't sweat it...it's just what it is.
Linda C

o

Thanks! My house is rustic, so I think it's a good fit. It's going in front of the green chair. (I've since decluttered the mantle.)

o

What a great room!

(Until I saw the eyes and the mouth and the TEETH!!)

=P

o

Perfect!
I think I remember that those little stools were a kit...came in pieces and you put it together and did the needle work for the top. I was going to suggest that a camel saddle bag would make a great top....but got to googling and found the asking price!! yea gads!
I have a couple I paid $15 each for at a flea market 10 years ago!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Saddle bags....

o

Well, it was a nice idea while it lasted, Linda. :-)

Eyes and mouth and teeth, Fori??

o

Your fireplace looks hungry in that photo...really though, I love the room and that stool will be perfect in it.

o

Ah, I see what you mean. The fireplace isn't hungry anymore, though. Since that picture was taken, it acquired this--a gift from my son and daughter-in-law:

My Christmas Present!

Oh, and while I'm at it, here's the more current look of the mantle--almost. The middle picture has since been removed. The "eyes" remain, though. :-)

The Mantle's New Look

o

Leave the finish and the screws alone! You might clean it up a bit with wax, but do nothing to change the finish. Start messin' with the finish and fittings, and you've ruined an antique.

o

I don't know, Jem. The screws will stay; however, I want to improve the grubby look of the wood. I live in an antique house and have a long history of leaving antique finishes alone, but I can't get too excited about the authenticity of a $19 footstool. :-)

o

Much friendlier. And the eyes aren't eyes without the nose.

Gorgeous screen. The kids have nice taste.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here