Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
justlinda_gw

Identifying silver(plate?) maker

justlinda
12 years ago

Wondering if someone knows what/how to decipher this mark. Have checked 'A', 'DC', and 'ADC' to no avail. Hoping the rest of the marks may give up more clues.

The piece is a tiny spoon, 3-3/4", with a cut-out thistle decoration on top. These markings are on the outer edge face of the bowl, not where one usually finds these markings.

{{gwi:1379572}}

Comments (8)

• lindac
    12 years ago

I believe it's Edinboro sterling....
    The marks are not very clear....but I think the date letter is a Q....making it 1872-3.
    Look thoroughly at the site below and see what you think.
    Linda C

Here is a link that might be useful: Scottish silver

• justlinda
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'd love to believe it's that old :) Here's a couple more pics. The date letter Q looks right, but I can't make out any of the other marks. Believe you told me once that it should state "sterling" or "925" if it's indeed sterling, see I really do listen to you, but try as hard as I might just don't see either of these. Guess the spoon looks different enough that it piqued my curiosity. Thanks for the quick response.

{{gwi:1379573}}
    {{gwi:1379574}}
    {{gwi:1379575}}

• lindac
    12 years ago

"Believe you told me once that it should state "sterling" or "925" if it's indeed sterling, "

Except for British marks.....they march to a different drummer.

I can't find the maker....the AC DC mark....but the next is Queen Victoria's head....shown between 1838 and 1890, Then the thistle and lastly the date letter Q showing plainly to my eye....1872-3.

Yeah...it's that old....and lovely!!

• antiquesilver
    12 years ago

I don't have anything helpful to add but I question the Edinburgh attribution. Every place I've checked has the Queen's head & the Q in oval cartouches rather than clipped squares. Also, the middle cartouche is the correct shape but the castle doesn't match the Edinburgh one to my eye nor do I see a thistle stamp.

• lindac
    12 years ago

Will small pieces the full compliment of stamps often is not present.
    I want it to be Edinburgh because of the thistle.....and if you squint your eyes just so you can make out the proper castle...:-)
    Could be Newcastle? I haven't searched those marks...

• antiquesilver
    12 years ago

Linda,
    Can you confirm that the mark is actually a Queen's head? We should be seeing the left side of her profile but no matter how I look at it, I just don't see it but IRL, it may be clearer.

• justlinda
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Tried to enlarge it, but this is the best I can do.
    {{gwi:1379576}}

• lindac
    12 years ago

I can't "confirm" a thing....
    I have clicked back and forth several times with pictures of the marks and the I.D. site....and it can't possibly be a monarch's head.....the cartouche is wrong.
    Could the spoon be after 1890 when the monarch's head was no longer included?