Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joyce_6333

Not sure what to do with this

joyce_6333
12 years ago

We have this desk and chair that originally belonged to DH's Gr Grandmother. The desk is from Tillman Brothers in LaCrosse, WI. Guessing Mid 1800s, as that is when the furniture store was in existence? Desk appears to be walnut, is partly stripped, and in generally tough condition.

Chair is not really a match for the desk, but we've always used them together. It has a rush seat, and many layers of some kind of finish badly done. Also in really rough shape, and no one should probably sit in it.

Because of the family connection, I hate to just toss it. What would you do with it? Is it worth spending money on?

Thanks for your opinions.

Comments (7)

• lindac
    12 years ago

Tillman was in business from 1859 until 1962....your desk appears to be a style that was popular about 1910....with that pull out writing surface.
    The chair is great.....probably from the same era or a bit newer. You can make the finish look good with something like Formby's finish restorer....and the rush seat can be repaired.
    But I would spruce up the finish and put a cushion on the seat and use it....no reason why it shouldn't be sat in.
    Linda C

• joyce_6333
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, Linda. I always appreciate your knowledge. The desk writing surface actually folds down. As for the chair, I had taken it to an old guy who was an "expert" in rush seating. He told he it couldn't not be repaired....maybe he just didn't want to do it. I'll try to spruce these things up.

• lindac
    12 years ago

Maybe he meant couldn't be repaired without re-doing?
    What supports the writing surface? Does it have pull-out supports?

• joyce_6333
    Original Author
    12 years ago

No supports, you have to pull out the drawer and it rests on that.

On the chair, he said the rush was put on while the chair was being constructed, and thus the chair would have to be taken apart to put new rush. I suppose it all make sense.

• lindac
    12 years ago

That type of chair always has to be taken apart to put on new rush!! I expect your "expert" was not.

Here is a link that might be useful: Re rushing a seat

• sam_md
    12 years ago

from the link: ...cost, somewhere between $135 - $285. to redo the seat. Maybe your expert meant it isn't practical to put that much money into a $25 chair.

• lindac
    12 years ago

A splat back Windsor style chair with a new rush seat is not a $25 chair.