Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
50's Glassware

Posted by kaelkriver (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 20, 08 at 13:58

I'm hoping someone can help or point me in the right direction. When my Mom died I "inherited" different types of glassware that used to come, I believe, in detergent boxes back in the 50's. There are various sizes, shapes and colors. There are 4 to some sets, 6 in others, and so on. Many of the rims have chips, some do not. Here's are my questions, is it worth it to "sand" these glasses so they are useable? Do they or will they have any value? I ask because they do take up a lot of room and it doesn't appear that my daughters have any interest in them. Any and all suggestions and help are welcome. I thank you in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 50's Glassware

Some do have a small amount of value, some do not. But if they are chipped, or were chipped the value is very much lessened.
If you want to sand them so you have a useables et, that's fine, but they won't bring much when you sell them....if they really are from detergent boxes in the 1950's and not depression glass.
Pictures always help.
Linda C

o

Thanks for the reply Linda. They are not depression glass and I will see if I can get a picture. Some are quite pretty.

o

I remember my mom pulling dishes out of the detergent boxes in the 50's. Did your mom collect them from different sources, or were they all from her own soap boxes?

o

Actually they were her own. I just wish some were in better shape.

o

My sister and I just cleaned out my mom's house. She had tons of those glasses. She also had the complete set of china. We were pretty poor and my mom couldn't wait until dad made the weekly trip to the grocery store and picked up a box of the soap powder. How she prized those glasses. I believe it was Duz laundry deterant that they came in. "Duz" looks funny, but I think that's what it was named. If I remember correctly, the box of soap powder said that the glasses were rimmed in 24K gold. They had a sort of oak leaf design on them and they were frosted. Came in 8 oz and 4 oz. Very pretty but not worth anything. The dishes consisted of dinner and salad plates, coffee cup and saucer. By the time you took the piece out of the box, there wasn't much soap powder left! You could send in separately to the company and buy the gravy boat, platter, etc. (which my mother also had). They are only worth the memories it bought back.

o

I have a couple of different patterns of glass that I have collected...hope you can share pictures!! We LOVE pictures!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here