Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bmrgrl_gw

What do you think this is worth?

bmrgrl
14 years ago

Hi everyone, I am a long time lurker and this is my first time posting and am looking for some advise. I am looking to buy this antique sideboard but am unsure of what I should pay for it. The owner is taking offers and told me it was her grandmother's. She also told me that she thinks it is from the 1920's. I love antiques but don't know too much about their value, so if you can weigh in with thoughts that would be appreciated. Thanks

Comments (10)

• bmrgrl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sorry but I can't seem to post a picture, any help? please

• bmrgrl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Alright, I joined photobucket and added it, let's see if it works

Here is a link that might be useful:

• Fori
    14 years ago

I know nothing about pricing these things, but I suspect it's worth very little since it'd take a huge amount of effort to make it presentable. Looks like the finish is gone. It might be worth the time to fix up because it was a really good looking piece, but I sure wouldn't pay much for it like that (unless there's more to it than I can tell from the picture!).

Is it as rough in person as it looks in the photo?

• lindac
    14 years ago

what it's worth depends on the condition....and it's hard to tell under all that dirt and dust if the top is in good shape or would have to be refinished or even worse. re veneered.
    If it's in good shape and would only been a little sprucing up to be good, I would think that $250 is not too much...if it has pieces of veneer missing, I wouldn't pay more than $25...if that, and plan on painting it...if it needs a completely new finish...maybe $100.
    Remember....you are buying wholesale from the owner....he/she shouldn't expect to get what she might get from a shop.
    Linda C

• sheilajoyce_gw
    14 years ago

The center drawers look like they don't fit properly. Has she cleaned the center drawers, or are they a different wood? The veneer on the top looks like it might be broken off. I don't know anything about such prices, but $25 would be more than enough in my opinion. Actually, she ought to give it to you if you will haul it off.

• karinl
    14 years ago

It's not just about the condition. It also matters whether it's a very unusual piece, and from my perusings of our Craigslist around here, sideboards like this are relatively common. Here are two comparable listings from a local dealer. As Linda says, if you're buying privately, you'd expect to pay less. Plus, this is in Canadian dollars.

KarinL

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/van/fud/1628871380.html

Here is a link that might be useful: One vintage buffet

• bmrgrl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well it does need to be stripped and refinished, which I can do myself. It is a solid wood piece not a veneer. The top is bare wood, the finish is dry and mostly worn away. It has never been refinished.

• karinl
    14 years ago

In that era (or maybe somewhat later) they sometimes veneered over solid wood. The old teachers' desks, for example, and a lot of traditional furniture are made that way. You would see from one edge that the construction is laminated-together strips of wood, but from the top it looks like one solid board. It may indeed be built of solid wood though, in which case you will, however, find joints in the wood. I'd seriously doubt this was built of really one board - what would those tops require, 18 inch wide wood? In real antiques you'll find that, but this is not that old or that special.

The final factor determining the price it what it's worth to you, including what your idea is of the final product, what that will be worth, what it will take to get it there, and whether you actually need such a piece. If you desperately want it, then you pay a price to secure it regardless of its market value. If you're willing to walk away, you offer on the low side and let her see if she can get a better offer.

I wouldn't be surprised to see this in the free listings either if someone was in a hurry to get rid of it. But I could also imagine paying maybe $100 if it were something I totally and completely loved. Cruise antique and used stores in your area to get a better idea.

It could, by the way, also be painted. This doesn't strike me as wood that it would be a sin to cover up.

KarinL

• bmrgrl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the info. It is nicer in person than in the photos, but still needs quite a bit of work. I have decided to continue looking until I find a piece that hopefully doesn't need as much work.

• lindac
    14 years ago

If the veneer is all there and there is nothing broken....that will clean up very easily and quickly using Formby's Restora Finish or by cleaning with acetone and alcohol mixture and rubbing with an oil finish....like minwax antique oil finish.
    If it fits your space....offer $50 and see what happens. Removing old original finish from 1920 is nothing like the work of removing paint that a thoughtless person has slapped on.
    Linda C