Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

Depression Glass

Posted by garlicjim (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 17, 12 at 12:26

How do you identify such?

Thanks a bunch.


Follow-Up Postings:

RE: Depression Glass

Wow!!!! That's a little like saying how do you know a plate when you see it.
Best get thee to a web site where you can familiarize your self with the types of depression glass.....then to a couple of shops where you can perhaps find someone who will point out the differences between a repro and the real thing. But you won't find a repro in anything but the big expensive items like a covered cookie jar.

There is the pale colored glass available in sets....with glasses plates cups and serving pieces. Then there is the kitchen stuff like Fire King and some uranium glass even, and the deep solid colors like ruby red and cobalt blue and the opalescent hobnail stuff....and the elegant depressinn glass stuff....
Just wade in and learn....

Here is a link that might be useful: depression glass

RE: Depression Glass

Okm Then Linda, here's an easy one:

How long is a piece of string (smile).

Actually, I should have asked if there were any markings of any kind on them, We have two bowls that look like depression glass, but aren't sure. They don't have any identification marks on'em.

One is sort of clear gold. It looks like depression era glass on the outside, but the inside is slick as "glass".

Same thing on the other one, except it changes colors as you move it.

They are probably just serving bowls.

Domo Arigato.


RE: Depression Glass

Konichiwa....which is about all the Japanese I can think of.

That stuff that was made in dinner sets and given away in theaters etc, and was pale gold, pale blue, pale pink and pale amber as well as clear was cheaply made and the pattern wouldn't show on the inside.
Not much depression stuff was marked but for the "good stuff" like Hiesey and some Northwood and of course Fire King and some Anchor Hocking pieces.
There was also a lot of "iridescent glass" not the good ole carnival glass, but just slightly iridescent that was sold in the 1960's in places like Woolworth's.
Pictures area good thing!

 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here