Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrn66_gw

Help with identification of old furniture feet

mrn66
13 years ago

Hello,

Trying to find out any information possible on these old metal feet. The only info I have found suggests that they may be from an old piano stool (maybe Chas Parker??). I have not been able to find a picture of them anywhere online. The are gold underneath, but have turned blackish and a little green in places. Could it be copper or brass?? The areas that look "rusty" in the picture is actually the gold showing through. The ball is missing from the mouth area. Trying to date these pieces and confirm what they may have been used on. Thanks for your help!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Antique open mouth Griffen feet

Comments (11)

• lindac
    13 years ago

Most likely 1890 to 1920 or so....
    Lots of things had feet like that...dining tables stools and most often side tables.
    During the hey day of old marble collecting, people fried the glass out of the claw.
    I think what you have is probably not good for much but scrap.
    Linda C

• karinl
    13 years ago

So Linda, you think they had glass balls? I'm wondering if it would have been wood, that cracked or something.
    I would imagine them having been used on a dresser, obviously with wood legs inserted in the tops.

They may or may not be "worth" anything but they sure are cool. What metal they are might become evident if you could get them blasted, probably with walnut shells. And the trick would be to find a craftsperson who wanted to use them on something they built. I guess the mouth would have to be bent open to insert a new ball of some sort. You could sure have some fun with them.

KarinL

• lindac
    13 years ago

I don't think there is a doubt that they had glass balls in the claw. I have never seen anything else on a metal claw.

Do they hold a magnet? They could be brass or iron....can't think of anything else...maybe bronze.

• mrn66
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks so much for everyone's help. There were some older Claw type feet that had a wood ball or dome and no glass, I did see some online, but they were claws. Can't find anything with the open mouth and ball. A magnet does not stick to it. The material seems like it might be softer than brass, there are a few knicks in it and some of the teeth are very bent leading me to believe it might be copper??? But I am just guessing at this point.

• antiquesilver
    13 years ago

I wish they were mine! Somehow, I'd use them with house plants, peeking out or grabbing hold of a stem or maybe they could be used as planter feet.

• Fori
    13 years ago

Around Halloween you can get those tiny pumpkins...you know where they go! Those are such nice scary feet!

• sombreuil_mongrel
    13 years ago

I think these came in two sizes; the larger was used on parlor/center tables, the smaller on piano/organ stools.
    Casey

• mrn66
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I did read a description online about an old piano stool that had open mouth griffen feet however, the picture was no longer posted so I could not see if they were the same thing.

• bostonpat_gw
    13 years ago

Maybe they are not feet....check out the pic!

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1379129}}

• PRO
    Paul Tucker Carpentry
    8 years ago

Sorry to be adding to this so late but these feet were designed by Emile Garet for the Merklen Brothers Furniture company in New York City. All of there furniture had metal claw with wooden balls. The pic of the table that boston pat put on here is a Merklen Brothers Table.

• jemdandy
    8 years ago

A wild guess: Feet for a pump organ stool. The top of the stool was round and the height was adjusted by screwing the up or down.