Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Beer can collection

Posted by jjaazzy (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 22, 14 at 11:52

My husband has a beer can collection from his teens. Most of it is Tin. We live in Florida. Would like to know the proper way to protect them from rusting. I was thinking mineral oil. I found one site that said Lacquer but said it could mar the paint. Another that said wax them, but that doesn't take care of the insides. And would take forever. They may not be worth anything but he has had them so long they might.. Figured I would come in here and ask the experts. Thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Beer can collection

These people may be able to help you as I have no idea what would work for you. I just take all my empty cans to recycling!! :) mfrog

Here is a link that might be useful: Brewery collectibles club

o
RE: Beer can collection

The alunimun cans do not need protecting except to keep them away from salts. Keep them dry and they should be ok. Do not store them in papers and cardboard bearing acid - use achival acid-free materials.

I doubt if any of the cans are 100% tin. Some old cans could be tin plated steel, and the tin plate may be on the inside olny. If so, the steel side will need protection. Ask collectors what they do.

(By the way, I got a garbage bag full of beer cans collected by my son back in the 1970s. He has no interest and I want to get rid of those.)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here