Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
'Dip and strip' paint removal for furniture - good or bad idea?

Posted by jlc102482 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 26, 12 at 11:49

I have an Eastlake parlor table that some clever individual decided to paint brown instead of refinishing. It's structurally sound and in good shape, other than the horrible brown paint. I'm quite certain that trying to strip the paint myself is something I wouldn't have the time, patience or expertise for. It's a typically intricate table with lots of incised woodwork, turnings, etc. and I think stripping it by hand might be insane. Is taking this table to a professional for a "dip and strip" treatment something I should consider? I've heard both good and bad things about this method.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 'Dip and strip' paint removal for furniture - good or bad ide

Look for a stripper who uses the flow-over technique. Not the old-fashioned, destructive caustic (lye) dip.
Flow over uses a regular solvent type stripping chemical and a basin to capture the overflow as it is gently pumped over the piece. The chemical is filtered and recirculated and it does the best job of getting everything off without damaging the wood or the veneer and glue joints.
Casey

o

But first find some one who has used the strip place you are thinking of.
You really can do it...I have....If it's oak, it's harder as the paint may get into the grain. But if you can afford it....hire it done.

o

Wonderful, thank you both for your help.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here