Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Limoges 'GDA' Saucer Identification

Posted by MariaAnnette (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 29, 11 at 11:36

Hello,

I am new to your group and hoping that someone can help me identify a saucer. It is currently being listed on ebay, but I don't know how to describe it or what the pattern is. I am very new at collecting and there is so much to learn. I would really appreciate it if someone could click on my link to view the pictures and provide me with some info.

Thank you kindly,

Maria

Here is a link that might be useful: Limoges Saucer

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Limoges 'GDA' Saucer Identification

It's not "ceramic" it's porcelain. Ceramic, to a collector means that stuff that is cheap and molded and often done by hobbyists.
Ceramic is a catch-all term meaning not glass or wood but made from some sort of clay....but in the antiques circles it means bought at Wal mart! LOL!
In the early years of the 20th century, ladies "took up china painting" and bought plain white porcelain, usually from a French maker but sometimes Austrian or Bavarian, and decorated it. that's what your saucer is.
Secondly, there is very very little demand for a saucer without the cup.
So what you have is an unsigned hand painted china saucer made in Limoges France by Gerard, Deffraisseux and Abbot, likely about 1910 to 1940. It has asters on a light blue ground.

I doubt you will sell it as it's not worth as much as the $5.00 shipping....sorry. Put it with a grouping of similar things and ship for one money.
Linda C

o

Thank you for the advice. I really appreciate the assistance. I will revise the description to reflect your suggestions.

Maria

o

Good....china and hand painted are the words people will search for.

o

Thanks again! I just added the word china to my listing. There is so much to learn. Have a great day! - Maria

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here