Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
E. Miller & Co. Oil Lamp?

Posted by ashley_t (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 30, 11 at 10:59

I've recently picked up a new treasure for the best price...free!

Here are a bazillion pictures of it.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

The screw pin holding the chimney in place is very cute - it's shaped as a little flower.

The chimney doesn't seem to be balanced properly in proportion to the base, though...but to be perfectly honest I don't know anything about antique oil lamps.

Any thoughts? :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: E. Miller & Co. Oil Lamp?

As far as I know, Miller never made a lamp like yours...they were best known for their high end hollow wick (like whale oil burners and Argand burners)slag and metal student lamps.
They als9o turned out flat wick burners by the boat load for other lamp makers to put on their lamps.
so what you have is a Miller flat wick burner on a glass lamp of unknown provenance.

I suspect there is a shade missing and that's why the chimney looks too large....see the link.

Nice lamp though....get a shade and see how pretty it looks!
Linda C

Here is a link that might be useful: Lamp

o
RE: E. Miller & Co. Oil Lamp?

Thanks so much for that link, Linda. I'm going to have to take a trip to the local antique shop, I think.

In my brief scouring of google...I did come across that little tid bit of info re: mass produced flat wick burners.

I love love love the burner part. The pressed glass lamp part isn't my favourite, but it is nice none the less.

Thanks again for the info. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here