Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
African American Dolls

Posted by okie-girlgardener (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 21, 11 at 10:47

I came across these african american dolls this weekend and know nothing about them. I was told that they are pre civil rights

Please let me know if you know anything about these dolls. They are about a foot tall and are in really good condition.

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: African American Dolls

I wouldn't call them dolls, and I doubt that they're older than maybe the 40s? The woman looks more Central American or Mexico to me. Any markings on the base?

o

There's a V on the bottom.

Thank you!

o

Are they dressed in fabric? Do any have moveable joints?
What are they made out of?
I agree, they are not "dolls" but figures....sculpture if you will....
Linda C

o

I think they're made out of wood. (Could be wrong about this)
Their clothes are made of fabric.
No moveable parts.

They kind of look native american to me, but when I look up any native american figurines all that comes up are ones that have headdresses on.

o

I think they're made out of clay.

o

I think they look like central or south American peasants too. Very interesting! Is the man carrying a basket of fish?

o

Peruvian, perhaps... something about the colours and style of the clothes on the woman and a Peruvian poncho I have.

If this is part of your haul from the estate sale, I was going to mention, but forgot, that I'm betting some of the figurines were probably the best part in terms of interest and maybe value.

KarinL

o

Latin American peasant figures ... look at the way she's carrying the basket and her skirt.

o

Lots of indigenous people besides Latin Americans carry a basket like that and wear a long full skirt.

o

Both of them would have been carrying something (poles?) that's missing.

o

Their clothes feel like they have some sort of wax on them. The bases are definitely made of wood. Not sure if their bodies are made of wood though. Their skin it coated in what feels like wax too. She has a basket on her back that's filled with newspaper. He has a basket that is filled with little fish. Their hands kind of look like that could have been holding poles. They're very detailed.

So central american figurines? Can anyone guess on their age?

o

Don't take this wrong....but what's under her skirt??

o

Something about the hair on the lady that doesn't say "African American" to me. Dark, straight, parted in the middle seem to make me think peruvian, south american, mexican, native american, etc.

o

Can you move their clothes enough to see if there is a mark on their necks, upper backs or under hair, also sometimes on lower back or upper behind. Would help to be in good light & have magnifying glass. Never seen South Dak. natives looking like that, I think Central or South Am. dolls

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here