Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
okie_girlgardener

African American Dolls

okie-girlgardener
13 years ago

I came across these african american dolls this weekend and know nothing about them. I was told that they are pre civil rights

Please let me know if you know anything about these dolls. They are about a foot tall and are in really good condition.

Comments (14)

• Ideefixe
    13 years ago

I wouldn't call them dolls, and I doubt that they're older than maybe the 40s? The woman looks more Central American or Mexico to me. Any markings on the base?

• okie-girlgardener
    Original Author
    13 years ago

There's a V on the bottom.

Thank you!

• lindac
    13 years ago

Are they dressed in fabric? Do any have moveable joints?
    What are they made out of?
    I agree, they are not "dolls" but figures....sculpture if you will....
    Linda C

• okie-girlgardener
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I think they're made out of wood. (Could be wrong about this)
    Their clothes are made of fabric.
    No moveable parts.

They kind of look native american to me, but when I look up any native american figurines all that comes up are ones that have headdresses on.

• okie-girlgardener
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I think they're made out of clay.

• Fori
    13 years ago

I think they look like central or south American peasants too. Very interesting! Is the man carrying a basket of fish?

• karinl
    13 years ago

Peruvian, perhaps... something about the colours and style of the clothes on the woman and a Peruvian poncho I have.

If this is part of your haul from the estate sale, I was going to mention, but forgot, that I'm betting some of the figurines were probably the best part in terms of interest and maybe value.

KarinL

• lazy_gardens
    13 years ago

Latin American peasant figures ... look at the way she's carrying the basket and her skirt.

• lindac
    13 years ago

Lots of indigenous people besides Latin Americans carry a basket like that and wear a long full skirt.

• Ideefixe
    13 years ago

Both of them would have been carrying something (poles?) that's missing.

• okie-girlgardener
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Their clothes feel like they have some sort of wax on them. The bases are definitely made of wood. Not sure if their bodies are made of wood though. Their skin it coated in what feels like wax too. She has a basket on her back that's filled with newspaper. He has a basket that is filled with little fish. Their hands kind of look like that could have been holding poles. They're very detailed.

So central american figurines? Can anyone guess on their age?

• lindac
    13 years ago

Don't take this wrong....but what's under her skirt??

• justlinda
    13 years ago

Something about the hair on the lady that doesn't say "African American" to me. Dark, straight, parted in the middle seem to make me think peruvian, south american, mexican, native american, etc.

• sunnyca_gw
    13 years ago

Can you move their clothes enough to see if there is a mark on their necks, upper backs or under hair, also sometimes on lower back or upper behind. Would help to be in good light & have magnifying glass. Never seen South Dak. natives looking like that, I think Central or South Am. dolls