Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Seth Thomas 1842-1913 clock

Posted by dawggrad73 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 5, 12 at 10:03

I don't have any idea of the value of this clock. I am thinking about having it restored as it appears to be intack with the original pieces and original case. The clock does not work and the case needs some work to get it back to it's original state. The label on the inside of the clock says Seth Thomas, Company. I think the clock was made before his death and put it's origin in the mid to late 1800's. Anyone with any knowledge on value or the cost for repairing out there? Would love to hear what you have to say. Just don't want to put it in a yard sale.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Seth Thomas 1842-1913 clock

The value is highly dependent on when it was made, and also on your location. In general, though, Seth Thomas is not at the high end of the clock market. The clocks were produced in great quantities, so they are not especially rare. Although I admit I have a soft spot for them: When he was a young boy, my dad was given a broken one in payment for mowing a neighbor's lawn; he repaired it and went on to collect many more clocks.

The cost to repair really can't be assessed without knowing more. Take it to someone who specializes in restoring antique clocks; s/he will be able to give you an estimate.

o
RE: Seth Thomas 1842-1913 clock

Why do you think the clock was made before Seth Thomas' death?
How about a picture? the style will tell a lot more about if it's worth even seeing about repairing. An old clock that just needs cleaning is one thing, but if it's missing a verge or a pendulum is another.
Does it chime? Is it 8 day or 25 hour?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here