Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I moan a little?

Posted by javaandjazz (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 5, 12 at 10:00

I was in antique center in Sturbridge, Mass this past saturday and spotted a piece of Weller pottery and started flaming out over it. I asked to see it and thought I had checked it out carefully for crack, chips, repairs, etc. It had some crazing but that's expected. So, it looked ok and the price was right so I bought it. Sunday morning got up and started to clean it and as I was drying it I noticed it had a huge repair in the top rim. I guess I had missed it. The only thing I can blame is the light in the antique center and my flaming out over it. I was disappointed and it kinda bothers me and makes me feel inexperienced. I thought I was able to see repairs but somehow missed this one. Does this happen to anyone else too? I just hate when that happens. Thanks for listening!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I moan a little?

Not recently....;-Q

Years ago, there was this "elderly woman".....likely 5 years younger than I am now.....who was a fabulous dealer. She was so knowlegable and had the most WONDERFUL things! EAPG was her thing and it's where I got my yen for the stuff and my desire to seek out and buy all of the Kamm Pitcher books.
One day a friend and I were browsing and she showed us something....an Iowa City Glass Frosted Stork platter....that was obviously a repro. She said a picker had stopped with some stuff and all she saw was the price and bought it. She said "let that be a lesson to me".
It happens.....don't beat yourself up, but remember to check closely for repairs! Turn that side to the back and put a plant in it.
Linda C

o

Don't feel bad - you're not alone - it's happened to all of us (except Linda, LOL)! We see a treasure that others haven't recognized judging by the price & BAM..... we're overcome with desire (& more than a little greed) & we snap it up. Only to find out there's a problem or it wasn't what we thought it was.

That's why we have yard sales!

o

And....it's really easy to do on eBay....ask me about the teeeny tiiiiny brass candlesticks!
The seller said they were miniature, and really heavy for their size. Solid brass and the picture looked wonderful.
I collect miniature brass candle sticks....you know the ones that are 3 to 4 inches tall?
Well this pair was 3/4 inch tall.....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here