Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
vintage japaneses hand painted tea set

Posted by LALABASIA (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 29, 14 at 8:41

Can anyone provide some info on this tea set?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: vintage japaneses hand painted tea set

This is how my Japanese set looks like. Will appreciate any info on it. Cups are demitasse.
Thanks

o

This is how my Japanese set looks like. Will appreciate any info on it. Cups are demitasse.
Thanks

o

Looks like a form of dragon ware pottery about the same period.

o

Here you go. Your pattern in a tea pot. 696. Moriyama Mori-machi. The porcelain seems like early to mid 20th century. Thanks to Patricia Thompson dated to "somewhere between the years of 1926 & 1929". The quote and link are to the website where you can see it.

It is unusual to see palms in a Japanese pattern. They can be found in the southern islands and Okinawa, but are not usually seen in most parts of Japan. To tell you the truth, this is the first Japanese pattern I've seen integrating palm trees in the design. Moriyama has been associated with Noretaki, but I find the workmanship on these examples more crude than you'd normally see in the moriage work from this company. Being a demitasse, it is definitely a piece intended for the occidental market.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to Gotheborg site

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here