Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jon1_gw

Selling large sets of China??

jon1
13 years ago

I have a 88 piece set of Haviland Gentaine and a 75 piece set of Rosenthal Classic Rose. Both in new condition. What whould be the best way to sell them? I dont want to sell them piece by piece as it would take a LOT of boxes. Any help? Do people buy large sets of China? I know about Replacements.Com, but they pay nothing for the stuff and charge a arm and leg.

Anyone had any luck selling this stuff?

Comments (53)

• jon1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks,

The biggis problem with selling on E-bay is the shipping cost. It cost a lot to ship a 88piece of Haviland China.

• sjarz
    13 years ago

I sold quite a large set of Royal Albert Senorita China on ebay a long time ago. I talked Purolator Courier into shipping it for me - it was much cheaper and guaranteed to arrive in one piece.
    Regarding your China, from what I can see, the Gentaine is very pricey stuff, and may well sell for a great price either on ebay or at a consignment antique store. The Rosenthal is much less valuable, I personally would just sell it off on ebay or at a garage sale or similar.
    Suzan J

• jon1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It might be pricy but i dont think there is much demand for it. No one seems to want big sets of china. I listed the Haviland for $200 and got no bids on ebay. this was for 88pieces.

• lindac
    13 years ago

Jon1, email me and tell me where you live.....If I could pick it up, I might be interested.
    Linda C

• jon1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I live in Se Michigan.

• lindac
    13 years ago

How far from the northern suburbs of Chicago?

• jon1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

a ways, Im north of Detroit.

• lindac
    13 years ago

Then....I guess I don't need another set of china!

• igloochic
    13 years ago

John feel free to email me your listings. I do buy large sets of china :) especially good ones. (I'm not a dealer, just an interested consumer if you still have the stuff).

• lindac
    13 years ago

You'd be hard pressed to send Igloochic an email with out a link.

• kterlep
    13 years ago

I'm in SE Indiana and I drive through Jon's area fairly regularly (I still have family there), I'd be happy to be a schlepper for someone if it'd help.

Jon you might try emailing the host of that new show Cash & Cari, she is HQ'd in Detroit & specializes in estate items. I think her store's name is RePurpose but I might be wrong.

Jon you got anything for me? I don't need any more china, lol.

• lindac
    13 years ago

kterlep.....what route do you take?...I am wondering wehre you could schlep to....that I could easily get to and from there do my own schlepping.
    My mother had that china....and I wasn't "lucky"...but what I traded for was part of my mother's Mason's pink vista.
    But wouldn't it be fun to give it to my grand daughter? not as her "good china" but as something to use.

• jon1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks,

I have a 88 piece set of Haviland Gentine(sp)
    75 pieces of Classic Rose by Rosethal
    10pieces of M.L. Hadly
    A Large set of china with pink hydrangea on it from Marshall Fields

Red Christmas mugs and plates.
    all like new condition

Btw, I have contacted Repurpose. I e-mailed about 12 photos of stuff for them. I have yet to hear from them. I called and they told me it would take several weeks as they are very busy.

• annie1971
    13 years ago

I thought this wasn't a sell/buy site; however, I have two large china sets to sell as well as three china tea sets to sell! Anybody meandering on over to Southwestern Idaho anytime soon?

• Mpagie
    11 years ago

looking for valuation of complete set of my Grandmother's Royal Doulton Sierra Rose China (Japan 3308)

• bspofford
    11 years ago

So much for not being a buy/sell site!! I want to weigh in with the rest of the china **ores. Noritake Polonaise, Mikasa Spring Crest, and Mikasa Charisma black are patterns I may be interested in. Yeah, I know it's on ebay....

And why not a buy/sell forum? We are all buying stuff, some of it to sell and make a living, some just collecting, but what fun!

Barbara

• blueheron
    10 years ago

I have a set of Lenox Westwind china in excellent condition. It's 8 place settings plus 2 vegetable bowls and one platter. I hesitate to sell it on Ebay because people only want to buy a piece to fill out a set. Then I'd end up with 5 cups, 6 dinner plates, 3 luncheon plates, etc.

• shejedi
    9 years ago

I'm having the same concern. I now own 3 rather large sets of dishes and it seems that they're all collectible, though I'm not familiar with actual value vs what is listed on ebay and other sites. I posted a picture of one, not sure if it's showing up. It's made by a company out of California that is no longer in production and called Poppytrail- Sculptured Grape. I also have a set called Golden Blossom from the same company but I rather like it and I'm probably going to keep it for special occasions...very pretty little yellow blossoms on it. There's also an enormous set of currier and ives- "Blue" that I have no idea what to do with. If anyone is interested, or knows someone who is interested. I hate to break up the set but can't imagine what it would cost to ship it all. Has a very pretty pie plate and stacks of bowls and plates. The salt and pepper shaker from this set is so cute. I'm stuck between pack it in a box or leave it on the kitchen counter in case someone needs a picture of something....and really want to move past all these dishes and on to planting. Anyone??4358509479 texts are welcome

• PRO
    Goodfriend Color Design
    8 years ago

Joining in here...I have a full set (12) of Rosenthal, Piemonte. Bought it in 1967. Anyone interested? Live in San Francisco. Best offer...we're moving next summer. Thanks and good luck everyone!

• Lori Armstrong
    8 years ago

I'd list on ebay with local pick-up only. Same with Etsy & Craigslist. Because of conflicts list only on one site at a time. Craigslist will probably be nothing but resellers so they will offer less, but will probably along with ebay have the widest market. The Etsy people tend to be the smallest group, but the easiest to deal with. You may get a request to ship so look into your shipping costs and use replacements.coms packing guidelines. No one wants broken dishes.

• Mike Kelly
    8 years ago

Lori is right about ety, but eBay will give you access to a nationwide market for your pattern. I think you could check with your local UPS Store to determine cost for packing and shipping, and reflect that on your listing under "shipping cost." You can also bookmark items in your pattern to determine the demand and pricing. I have had great luck with eBay, but only as a buyer.

• Karlee NY
    8 years ago

Hi all, I've had some limited success selling china sets I inherited. Craigslist NY worked for me in helping to sell a 28-piece Middleport Pottery set although I had to settle for $100 despite asking $200...after many months of patiently waiting for a bite. I consider myself lucky with that one!

Been using eBay for a mid-century Spode set of tea and demi-tasse cups/saucers and teapot in cobalt blue and embossed gold - but no bites there even as I keep relisting from the original August date.

Now that it's holiday season I'm assuming it's an even worse time to sell even though it's supposed to be the best time of year to serve up on your fancy china!

(Oh and yes, Replacements.com low-balled me for the pieces I inquired them about selling so i gave up on that thought after considering the cost of shipping I'd have to foot!)

• nyboy
    8 years ago

I collect Greek by Spode if any one is looking to sell let me know

• lilacinjust
    8 years ago

I've got a huge collection of Dresden that I need to unload. No one wants it!

• blueheron
    8 years ago

nyboy, I have a spode pitcher in the Greek design, if that's what you mean. It's blue and white in perfect condition.

• nyboy
    8 years ago

Greek is pattern name by spode you can see examples on ebay, if it is blue greek I would want it

• blueheron
    8 years ago

How do sellers know what the freight is before they actually ship it? I always wondered that.

• Lori Armstrong
    8 years ago

OK, a bit of a run down to a few posts. Mike Kelly, UPS Stores are not a good place. (Though I use mine for Fax's). They have a mark-up on shipping and their packing fees are through the roof. Replacements.com has a great packing guide.

Karlee NY, Replacements does low-ball but you can make out with them if you have several differant patterns and sets that you don't mind breaking up. Packing is the key with this. I'm finding that the USPS Priority Regional Rate 'C' box is a help IF you pack it where there is over 17# but less than 25# (it ships at the 17# rate). If you have something that will be light (but under 1 cubic foot) regular zoned Priority is best.

blueheron, You need to know what the weight and measurements are of the package. Go to http://postcalc.usps.com/Default.aspx?m=0&dpb=0 Put in the information and it will give you your rates.

• blueheron
    8 years ago

Thank you, Lori. I will bookmark that site.

• Lisa Haviland
    8 years ago

I have a huge set of the Haviland Princess Pattern antique china collected back in the 60's if anyone knows where in the Indianapolis or Carmel area of Indiana that I could sell this. Dainty pink flowers. Moving and would like to find a home for it.

• blueheron
    8 years ago

I like to sell a embossed wedgwood ware teapot in celadon and white. Also a wedgwood flying cloud teapot in tan and also a stangl fruit design coffee pot.

• blueheron
    8 years ago

They are all perfect in condition.

• ebay51
    7 years ago

Anyone still interested in china? I have a huge set of Royal Daulton Real Old Willow...service for 12 with many serving pieces. I'm looking to sell. Located in Northern IL...Chicago suburbs.

• sheesh
    7 years ago

And I have a set of Noritake Dubonnet from the late thirties. Service for 12, plus two sets of serving ware - gravy boats, platters, covered bowls, creamer and sugar bowl. It was my grandmother's.

I live in southeast Wisconsin.

• Kreina Staal
    5 years ago

I have a set of Royal Doulton Biarritz, service for 12 that I'd like to sell. It's a beautiful set - I'm in Chicago.

• Kreina Staal
    5 years ago

I also have cups and saucers from a Lenox Lowell collection, 24 K gold design.

• mozziek
    5 years ago

Yet another set(s) available! I have three complete sets of china - 12 place settings each of Lenox Tuxedo (24k gold rim) with COUNTLESS accessories, Lenox Lacepoint, and Adam Calyx Singapore Bird (my fav). I also have a 12' X 15' plus a beautiful wool Kashan area carpet, as well as a number of precious (primarily asian) pieces/ figurines all inherited. I'm in Redmond, just outside of Seattle. Aside from "Replacements", I could use any help in how (reasonably) to appraise and sell these items. Thank you all for your help.

• mozziek
    5 years ago

stay tuned. Im going to see if I can get a site or blog where these listings can be consolidated w pics. : ) I'll post a link.

• mozziek
    5 years ago

"follow me" if you are interested.

• JoAnn Harper
    5 years ago

Well, I've been searching for appraisers in my area with no luck. I am looking to sell a Rosenthal dinnerware set of about 60 pieces. It is in mint condition and is the Pastoral print and was purchased in Germany in the 1950's. I live near Tulsa, Ok. Any advice or buyers?

• JoAnn Harper
    5 years ago

I forgot to mention these are also trimmed in gold. Not sure of the KT.

• Kate Fuller
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

My aunt left me gorgeous antique Haviland-Limoges dishes that were her mother-in-law's. There are a lot! -- and I'm downsizing now. Any advice as to consignment houses that might handle these for me -- in the Portland, Oregon, area. Many thanks for any advice!

• maddielee
    4 years ago

There is not much of a market for large sets of formal china anymore. To get some idea of value, search completed auctions on EBay. Be sure you are looking at completed auctions.

• Amy
    2 years ago

I have Over 300 pieces of Lenix that I’m selling in the state sale if anyone is interested my mother-in-law was a collector for years the pieces were never used a lot of them still have all the boxes I will give a very fair price for someone to take them all

• maifleur03
    2 years ago

Amy just a couple of things. In the state and Estate sales mean different things. The company made many patterns so without knowing the pattern unless someone just wanted dinnerware unlikely to find a buyer on here. Especially if the buyer was in another state because of shipping charges. It is also bad form to tack a selling post on an older posting especially one that is ten years old. You might want to repost as a new comment and include a picture of the dinnerware. One piece showing the pattern will probably be enough. Because of the way things are you may have to post the picture in a second comment. Too many spammers this past year reawakening dead threads for most of the regulars to even look. Good luck getting rid of it.

• HU-289341211
    2 years ago

I am selling a large collection of Noritake Royal Mint Green located in Chicago. Please let me know if anyone has a lead on selling that particular set of china.

• CC
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Looking to sell a full set of Golden Chantilly China- gold trim, Crystal Gold wine glasses ans sterling silver set. Its really a gorgeous set. Located in the South Suburbs of Chicago! Also going yo

try consignment but don’t want to sell a few of the set as its worth is in that it’s a full set.

• HU-272327808
    last year

Looking to sell service for 10-12 of Villeroy & Boch Feliz Navidad Christmas China: dinner plates, bread and butter plates, salad plates and soup bowls. If interested, please email me at lindatravis56@gmail.com . Would prefer a local person; I'm in southern CA. Thx

Sponsored
Closet America
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars133 Reviews
Northern Virginia, Baltimore & DC Metro's Closet Organization Company