Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

Crocheted coverlet, need quick advice by tomorrow!

I could really use some advice on the right way to use this....is it the wrong size, or not?

I bought this crocheted coverlet or bedspread today at a local antique store. I have been looking for one for a while; IâÂÂd seen this one earlier, the dimensions were on it; I measured my bed and went back for it, thinking it would fit. I told the owner I wasnâÂÂt sure if it would fit, and she said I could exchange it as long as I did it by tomorrow (no returns, just exchanges). But the measurements were short by a foot. This one was the pattern I liked best, and the other one there that looked big enough would go all the way to the floor, which might be TOO much.

But before I take it back, maybe itâÂÂs me that is wrong about how this is supposed to be used. I was imagining it used as more or less like a bedspread: spread over and tucked under the pillows. But I donâÂÂt really know how these were used originally.

If I lay it with the longest dimension from the head to the foot of the bed, it covers, barely, as is shown in the first image. No tucking under the pillows the way I normally would. But then the sides donâÂÂt even cover the mattress. It pretty much just covers the top. If I failed to tuck the top sheet in under the edge of the mattress (and I am not that much of a daily neatnik), it would be hanging down below the edge.

If I lay it with the longest dimension ACROSS the bed, THEN it drapes over the sides: not a lot, but better. (The side away from the camera is shorter, I cheated.) That would leave the pillows uncovered. If this is how a crocheted coverlet is supposed to be used, what does one do then about the pillows? It looks too informal to just leave them out there. I took another shot with some shams I have that match another bedspread. These are not the right choice of pattern, but are they the right concept to go with the crocheted coverlet?

If not, what DO I use? Or is it just too small and I need to look for a bigger one?

Someone please tell me what looks best! I have to decide quickly!

Below longways used as bedspread:

Below long dimension used sideways, pillows exposed:

Below with test shams

Thanks so much for your help!

Comments (5)

• colleenoz
    11 years ago

Well really, unless you're setting up a historical exhibit, how it was originally used is immaterial. What does matter is whether _you_ like it. Personally, I like the last view with the shams; you could always look for plain lace shams or make some yourself.

• lazy_gardens
    11 years ago

My grandmother had hers over a solid color bedspread so the lace pattern was more visible, and with shams the way you have them, that matched the bedspread.

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for your suggestions. To test how it looked I just laid it over a solid colored sheet. I would plan on buying something darker underneath for more contrast. A thin bedspread would be ideal: I am planning to use this in the summer.

I was thinking about whether I would ever be able to find shams that went with it. The odds of finding the same crochet pattern are next to nothing. So, how would I best coordinate them? I can sew (not that I donâÂÂt have too many projects going as it is). Whether I bought or made something, what look do you think I should be going for? To match the ivory of the crochet, or create a color contrast?

I find in daily use, I almost never put my shams on. But that is on a bed made with a bedspread, where I donâÂÂt have to, and it still looks made.

Thanks again.

• camlan
    11 years ago

If you are getting a solid color sheet to use under the coverlet, you could get a pair of pillowcases in the same color. Then use the pillowcases as shams, over the pillowcases that you use to sleep on.

If you were going to make or buy lace shams, I'd match the color as much as possible, and not worry so much about the pattern. I think different patterns of lace look lovely together.

You could also check crochet books at your library--I've seen lots of similar patterns and you might be surprised. It's possible you could find the same or a very similar pattern to recreate.

• colleenoz
    11 years ago

That pattern looks like it wouldn't be too hard to replicate but otherwise a same colour lace or pillowcases of the same colour as the undersheet would also look nice. If you want to cut down on the hassle of taking shams on and off you could always get two extra pillows and keep the shams on them all the time, just stack them on top of the pillows you use when you make the bed and put them off the bed when you're sleeping.

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm