Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Metal Bottle Opener marked R.E.P

Posted by justlinda (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 4, 11 at 0:04

I have this old metal (attracts a magnet) bottle opener that is marked with R.E.P on the back in raised letters. No other markings.

Anyone know what the R.E.P stands for, or means?

Photobucket
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Metal Bottle Opener marked R.E.P

And it's shaped like a fish! Cute. REP? Probably the casting foundry? Or was there a beer with those initials?

o

I looked in 6 books & didn't find it or the REP sorry.

o

I suspect it's cast iron, simply because most of my old bottle openers are but I can't tell by the picture. I have only seen one fish-shaped bottle opener and it was online on e-bay, I think. The seller didn't know the origin of it either, but it looked very like your's. There was no mention of a moulder's mark but the seller for some reason suspected it was from Italy. I have no way to know why. They were just guessing I'm sure because they thought their piece was made out of brass and it wasn't.

It's not going to be any older than 1890s since that's when bottle capping bloomed. No, I keep up on foundries and metal works, since it was a family occupation (and actually I still have relatives in this field) and I haven't researched it at all online but that mark is not familiar to me. It's a cute little piece.....I'd hang on to it and maybe you'll find out more about it.

o

Thanks for the input. Now to find something (or other) to drink from a bottle-cap bottle so I can use it.
:)

o

It is my initials! Wonder how they got them?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here