Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

Brown transferware Stoke-on-Trent pattern, looking for info

I have a number of pieces of this Pattern. I know little about this type of ware, but from reading online have found out that it is called brown transferware and how it is made. My Mom talked me into buying this set 15 or so years ago when some friends of hers, who were antique dealers, were retiring and selling out their stock. I was not crazy about it at first but it grew on me after I had the chance to visit Stoke-on-Trent about a year later and learn about its historic pottery factories. I have had it on display but decided itÂs time to learn more about it.

I have 1 dinner plate, and 6 or more pieces each of dessert plates, small bowls, cups, saucers, and 2 accent pieces, a larger deep bowl and a small pitcher. The image shown on the front of each is a view of a ruin, a different one on each type of dish. The dinner plate background color is lighter than the others, the rest of which all match and are a cream color. I donÂt know what this means other than that one large plate was probably made at a different time and from a different clay body.

Not all the pieces are marked on the back. Some have both a brown applied logo, "W.T. Copeland and Sons, Stoke on Trent" and a stamped mark "Copeland" with a "B" underneath. Some only the stamped mark. There was a sticker on the back of one piece that the dealers must have put there, with "Old Abbey" handwritten on it. I did a google search with all those names but got so many hits that were not relevant (mostly real estate listings for Abbey flats on Copeland St. in Stoke-on-Trent!) there must be a better way.

Can anyone tell me more about these? Thanks!

Comments (13)

• Ideefixe
    15 years ago

So what do you need to know? From Kovel's

"Copeland Spode appears on some pieces of nineteenth-century English porcelain. Josiah Spode established a pottery at Stoke-on-Trent, England, in 1770. In 1833, the firm was purchased by William Copeland and Thomas Garrett and the mark was changed. In 1847, Copeland became the sole owner and the mark changed again. W.T. Copeland & Sons continued until a 1976 merger when it became Royal Worcester Spode. Pieces are listed in this book under the name that appears in the mark. Copeland Spode, Copeland, and Royal Worcester have separate listings."

Google around and see if you can find this pattern.

Here is a link that might be useful: Replacements LTD

• lindac
    15 years ago

W T Cope;and was a mark used between 1850 and 1970.
    The information you want is in the book at the link below. Unfortunatly the pages you need are not included in the preview!
    See if your library can order it for you.
    Linda C

Here is a link that might be useful: w. t. Copeland

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks! I will try to get that book. The link led me to other books too. With the trademark info I can give it a rough date (very rough), though I might be getting ahead of myself.

When I googled I got so many hits it wasnÂt leading anywhere. The name Copeland is just too common. The name of the pattern was not listed anywhere. Replacements does not list it either. Just more modern Spode.

• lindac
    15 years ago

It's not an uncommon pattern...i have seen it all over and likely even have some ( I collect red transferware)...but I don't know the name of it....:-((
    Linda C

Original Author
    15 years ago

"Old Abbey" was the name that was handwritten on a sticker on the back. But the name has not led me anywhere. I know these companies were the mass producers of their day, so I donÂt expect it to be unique. But it would be fun and interesting if my MotherÂs instincts were right and they turn out to be collectible or have some value. I would think, compared to the red or the blue, that the brown is the least desirable color for collectors. But it went with my house, so thatÂs what I picked. On the decorating forum I keep seeing peopleÂs houses with a few pieces displayedÂmade me more interested in finding out about mine.

ItÂs a slow winter for me business-wise so IÂm researching some things to have a file of info ready for my kids. CanÂt make money, might as well do something useful (and fun!).

• lindac
    15 years ago

Brown transferware was the moste xpensive color at one time....but times have changed and I expect that red is more popular now.
    Of course they have value!!!
    But I just can't come up with the pattern name.
    Some patternhs have a "popular name" and an official name....like "pink castles" and "screaming eagle"....I suspect "old Abbey" is what your mother called it.
    I'll look a bit when I have time
    Linda C

• lindac
    15 years ago

I believe what you have is called "Ruins".
    Linda C

Here is a link that might be useful: ebay listing

Original Author
    15 years ago

Funny, Linda, your responses showed up in my e-mail box more than a day later! Drifting in Cyberspace.

Interesting to see some on EBay. This pattern is somewhat different from mine: the acorn border is different and the scene somewhat too. Logo as well. The listing says 1897 in one spot and 1867 in another, one must be a typo.

"Ruins" would be more accurate of a name: nothing in the buildings on mine looks much like an Abbey. The sticker with the name "Old Abbey" was put on there by the Antique dealer who sold it. My Mom never had this set, she just talked me into buying it. They could have called it that to distinguish it in their stock from their other transferware.

Thanks for helping so much. I going to try to get those books on interlibrary loan.

• lindac
    15 years ago

From what I could find, the ruins was made with different borders and different markings as time went on...... the pattern was made over a long period of time.
    Antiques dealers, as well as others often had "creative" names for different patterns. Spode tower has been referred to by many names.
    Linda C

• mlharper
    12 years ago

I was wondering if you ever found more information on this Copeland transferware. I have three pieces (two serving platters and a delightful small pitcher) that I believe a distant relative brought with her when immigrating to the US. Thank you for your response in advance.

Original Author
    12 years ago

No, nothing more than what you see above. I put the search on the back burner. Typed up what I had, put it in the cabinet for the kids, and didn't look further. If memory serves, I ordered all the books on transferware I could obtain through interlibrary loan, and did not find my pattern in any of them. Lots of info on the stamps on the back, but not the pattern.

• Debra Vessels
    12 years ago

In the Transferware Collectors Club Database it does list this pattern as "Ruins" with an alternate name of "Melrose". It is a series of different views, 24 recorded scenes, 13 pictured in the database meaning a different scene on different pieces. The mark on your plates is probably 1881-82, there is also an impressed mark on many pieces. Anything after 1890 would have included England on the mark. It was produced in Brown, Blue, Pink and Black that are recorded.

Original Author
    12 years ago

Wow! Thank you! It's great to be able to date it more accurately.