Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
suvoth

Looks like Van Briggle/McCoy/Roseville?

suvoth
13 years ago

I have no idea who made this vase. Anyone know? Just has "68" on the bottom. Please see pictures.

Here is a link that might be useful: Picture

Comments (10)

• suvoth
    Original Author
    13 years ago

{{gwi:1378038}}

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• lindac
    13 years ago

I think it's a "wannabe".
    Tehre were many smaller potterys that put out stuff that had a similar look to Roseville Van Briggle etc....but weren't as finely made. I think that's what you have.
    Linda C

• suvoth
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the look-see and response! I appreciate it. :)

• sunnyca_gw
    13 years ago

I looked through my Antique Trader Pottery & Porcelain Ceramics book & what I noticed is that most items similar to yours have more depth to the pattern. The flowers on yours are rather faint. They look like tulips on the 1 side & slightly different arrangement on other side. Is the bottom painted or is that yellow pottery. Might help place area it was made.

• suvoth
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I think the yellow is the base color and the matte blue is the top layer

• suvoth
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Er, that is to say, I believe it is yellow pottery with matte blue paint.

• calliope
    13 years ago

Some of the very early matte pottery pieces did have a muted design to them in low relief. I picked up such a vase years ago at auction on a hunch and it's one of my more valuable pieces.

However, that being said, almost all the potteries did do a matte green/pink or blue phase along the line somewhere. They are not wannabes as much as each company's interpretation of a what was popular at the time.
    Size of the pottery has little or nothing to do with quality of the work. It does have impact however in value through name recognition.

I don't think we can say much of anything about this piece until it's found in a collection or reference book or are familiar with the mark. Some pieces are so obscure that they are never identified and then you start doing the stretch with bottom finish, glaze method etc and that's more than you can do from a picture.

Good luck.

• suvoth
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Calliope, fingers crossed lol

• azelismia
    13 years ago

This piece is made by Hull pottery.

• suvoth
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the info azelismia! That'll certainly help ascertain how much it is possibly worth :)