Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lydia1959

Old Ladderback Chairs

lydia1959
19 years ago

I have a set of 5 old ladderback chairs that I would like to sell, but don't know how to date them and figure out what they are worth. I bought them 20 years ago from a man who said they had been in his wife's family for a long time. They still bear the original bright blue paint and have the woven seats (some need repair). Can anyone help or does anyone know of a website that would help? TIA

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (8)

• lindac
    19 years ago

Well....the blue paint and likely the seat are not original. But it's impossible to date them without seeing the way they are constructed....do the back splats go completely through the uprights, what do the bottom of the legs look like, how high is the seat from the floor...is there wear on the back of the top splat?
    But the shape and style is that of a chair dating to about 1860...or a few decades after....But that style was reproduced.
    Linda C

• lydia1959
    Original Author
    19 years ago

The reason I thought the blue paint was original was because there isn't any paint under it, nor does there seem to be any finish beneath the paint. The back splats do not go all the way through and there is no wear on the back of the top splat. The height of the seat is about 17". The bottom of the legs are slightly tapered, there is only 1 crossbar on the bottom back of the chair, not 2 as there are on the front and sides.

Thanks for anymore information you can give me!

• lindac
    19 years ago

I'll bet they were un finished furniture of maybe 20 25 years ago....
    There was a lot of that sort of stuff....with the rush seats. If they had been old they would have has split hickory....which is why I said the seats were not old.
    Also if they were old the construction would have the back slpats tenoned into the rails....and there would be wear on the top back splat....and likely the rear legs would be shorter than the front from shoving back from a table....and the seat would be about an inch lower.
    Worth....depending on where you are....$35 a chair?...Maybe not that much.
    Linda C

• lydia1959
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks for the information Linda! I just didn't want to sell them for $10. or $20. each and find out later they were worth a lot more.

• Irma_StPete
    19 years ago

Don't sell too cheaply! I've been trying to find even one or two ladderbacks to match one I have (from the 1950s?). They seem scarce in the shops here, and I didn't see any on e-bay.

• dayenu
    19 years ago

ladder backs are easy to find in the northeast. I agree they are worth under $30-35 each. Those aren't really as pretty as many I have seen. sorry.

• muzzzicman
    14 years ago

Hello, I noticed this post in the internet about Ladder back chairs
    This particular chair I have the link to was given to my parents about 30 years ago but not sure how old it was at that time and I know that he said it was from Norway
    can anyone tell me what this one is called
    it has the woven seat along with the ornate design in the backrest
    we do not know much about chairs so any help would be appreciated
    approximately how old and how much much it is worth
    Thanks much
    John

Here is a link that might be useful: http://fargo.craigslist.org/fuo/1665602700.html

• kasha77
    11 years ago

I've fallen in love with this dining room and ladderback chairs. Lydia, can you tell me what you think, if they are old or not? I'm considering buying them!