Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
collector19

Antique China Cabinet - Need Help Identifying

collector19
14 years ago

This is an Antique China Cabinet I just purchased. I do not have any information about it. I would like to find out as much about it as possible if anyone could help, how old it is, where it was made. Any info would be helpful. Thanks so much!

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1378001}}

Comments (10)

• Ideefixe
    14 years ago

I don't know how anyone could tell where it's from by that photo, to be honest. It looks like farmhouse furniture, maybe 1900s? Maybe later, maybe earlier.

Does it have dovetails?

• collector19
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I know the picture is terrible, I'm sorry. I will post more detailed photos tommorow after I recharge my camera. Thanks for the response so far!

• lindac
    14 years ago

From what I can see, it looks like a 1870-ish walnut cupboard...likely hand done dove tails and evidence of hand working on the panels.....
    But it's a very small and very fuzzy picture....and it looks mid-western to me by the style....2 doors and 3 drawers.
    I wish it were mine!
    Linda C

• collector19
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I have added 10 more pictures. I don't know how to insert the pictures directly so there is a link for my photobucket account. I tried to show as much detail as possible. I'm not sure about dove tails???

Thanks again for the responses so far!

Here is a link that might be useful: 10 New Pictures

• dekeoboe
    14 years ago

Your link just brings me to photobucket's main page.

• collector19
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sorry, hopefully this is a better link to the new pictures.

Here is a link that might be useful: New Cabinet Pictures

• lindac
    14 years ago

Well...it's better at a distance than it is up close! LOL!
    It has been seriously clobbered....modified...
    the lower panels are fir plywood....certainly not original....perhaps thost doors also held glass? and the inside bottom has had stuff added....the hunges are not original....nor are thoses wrought iron clasps.
    It was a nice country cubbarD....not walnut but perhaps poplar...
    unfortunatly I don't know how you would un do what has been done.
    Lindqa C

• jemdandy
    14 years ago

When I clicked on one of those photos, my Norton reported a virus.

• collector19
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Jemdandy, sorry about that, no virus shows up on my end. I have AVG anti-virus. I don't know why that happened, I hope nobody else had a problem with that.

LindaC - thanks for your reply. I wanted to go ahead and repair the cabinet and paint it an antique white, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't painting something that might be worth anything. Furniture collecting is pretty new to me, so I am slowly learning. Thanks again. Jenny.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    14 years ago

Looks like a piece made by a DIY-er in the 30's to 50's. My dad built some stuff like this back in the day, but it was far worse; all fir plywood. It would look more respectable if you put pierced tin panels in the bottom doors. I agree it's a poplar frame.
    Casey