Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help to identify antique sitting chair

Posted by kateboom (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 28, 10 at 21:30

Hello,

I was just given this beautiful chair by my grandmother, who got it from her mother. She said that her mother had it reupholstered at some point so it is not the original fabric (some sort of vinyl). Can anyone tell me about when the chair was made? I am horrible at identifying decades and styles. There are no markings anywhere on the chair. Thank you so much!

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=32323262&l=aba0e527f7&id=8701417

-Kate

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help to identify antique sitting chair

Here is your pretty chair......

Here is a link that might be useful: live link

o

Looks 50s-60s to me.

o

Well, if OP is twenty something I quess it's possible her GG GM could have been a young housewife in the twenties or thirties. Also the shape of the chair arms reminds me more of that era than MCM, but I guess it's possible to be either one. I wonder if in the reupholstering there were some modifications made to the chair profile? The chair legs could be anytime in that time frame or could be replacements?

o

Yes I am 27 and my GM is 80. I can take more pictures of specific angles or joints if that would help. Those two time periods are what I am debating between - 50s-60s or 20s-30s. And why leave out the lonesome 40s. Thanks for your thoughts (and the live link).

o

During the war, most domestic manufacturing was converted to the war effort, and after the war, late 40s-early 50s, production boomed. Not all 1950s furniture was MCM--Retro Renovation (my new fave blog) calls it "mid-century modest".

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here