Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
atheling_gw

Chest of Drawers

atheling
12 years ago

I purchased this off of Craigslist - I think it's 1920's or 1930's but other than that, I have no idea what the style is, wood, manufacturer etc...

I would appreciate any information given. Thank you!

Comments (20)

• lindac
    12 years ago

Nice!! Book matched mahogany veneer, great condition....late 1920'a early 1930's.

• atheling
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you, Lindac! Now I have to figure out how to get rid of the cigar smell - ha!

Any idea of the manufacturer?

• lazy_gardens
    12 years ago

Unless you can find a stamp, there were so many manufacturers it's impossible to ID them.

Many made things for large department stores, so what was sold under a Macy's label in NY might have been sold by Marchall Field's in Chicago as theirs.

• atheling
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I've looked all over it and can't find a stamp anywhere. I guess it will remain a mystery. I have not found anything like it online.

• jemdandy
    12 years ago

Pull the drawers out and turn them over. A label might be there. While the drawers are removed, take a flashlight and examine the inside of the back panel. This is one place to hide labeling in plain view. Two other locations are the underside of the top and the underside of the bottom dust panel. Quality pieces have dividers/panels between drawers forming a closed space for each drawer. A step down in cost omits the panels between drawers but keeps the bottom piece. The bottom piece helps keep dust and mice out of the cabinet. One more step down, the bottom panel is omitted.

• atheling
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, jemdandy. Not only have you given me some information about the quality, but you've also made me see the dust and webs inside the piece so I vacuumed it after an inspection per your recommendation.

I didn't find any labels in the places you mentioned. It has a bottom dust panel and a top one, but the two middle drawers don't have one. I don't know if it's because the manufacturer deliberately omitted them or because they were removed later. I did see that there is a little bit of water damage to the bottom panel under the top drawer, making it slightly warped, but it doesn't hinder the drawer's movement and fortunately it's out of sight.

I may never know more about it, but I'm happy with my purchase. I paid only $100 for it and it's much less than what I would have paid for something new, which would have been less interesting and not as attractive.

• patty_cakes
    12 years ago

I just have to ask, did the add read chest-of-drawers or chester drawers? I have seen the latter wayyy too many times! lol ;o)

• lindac
    12 years ago

What a steal for $100.....even if it was advertised as a "chester-draws"!

• oldstuff4me
    12 years ago

I believe that "chester drawers" are somewhat more expensive and sought-after than the everyday run of the mill chest of drawers. ;)

• atheling
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Lol... the ad actually read "dresser" - an entirely different animal!

• lindac
    12 years ago

I believe they may have been avoiding the Chester draws or Chest-o-drawers issue. At least they didn't claim it was Chip-n-dale.

• patty_cakes
    12 years ago

Or a 'rod iron whatszit'! Lol

• oldstuff4me
    12 years ago

Until this thread, I had never noticed postings for "chester drawers"... Now I see them all the time!!!

Thanks for alerting me to this very amusing occurrence :)

• chibimimi
    11 years ago

Yeah, mama, I did too. I miss her! Does anyone know where she has been?

• colleenoz
    11 years ago

Apparently GardenWeb got one too many complaints about her so she is permanently riding the teacups :-( I miss her too.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    11 years ago

I wasn't here in the Spike days, but I've been around long enough to know what 'getting sent to Disney/teacups' means. Also have heard that mentioning certain other websites will get you a stern warning, with threat of a one way trip.

Lindac, if you are reading, thank you for the discussions on silverplate--I've learned a lot since that first craigslist bonanza.

Thank you, colleenoz. OP's email is not enabled, so this will probably go unnoticed--if not, sorry for the hijack.

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    11 years ago

I've been on here for a few years, but I don't know what "'getting sent to Disney/teacups" means: does that mean banished? I sure hope she isn't! I learned a lot from her. I was wondering why I had not seen any replies from her.

• colleenoz
    11 years ago

Back in the Spike days, if you transgressed one of his unwritten rules, when you tried to log in you would be redirected to the Disney website.
    And often if you asked where someone was, or discussed their banishment, you'd end up at Disney too, so it was referred to obliquely.
    Yes, apparently someone objected to LindaC's direct approach and has been effective in getting her banned from Gardenweb.

This post was edited by colleenoz on Mon, Mar 18, 13 at 4:26

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    11 years ago

Oh! I see. I noticed she did not seem to be around, I figured she was sick or something. She was so knowledgeable.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    11 years ago

Hmmmm, has anyone noticed that my post between Joseph004 and chibimimi is missing?

Since Joseph/Ricky has posted spam and strangely vague comments on several forums, and brings up year-old threads to do it, I commented on that, then asked about Lindac. Am I on my way out? Lol.