Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jon1_gw

Selling Haviland and Cambrige Sets.

jon1
13 years ago

I have a 88 piece set of Haviland Gentiane pattern. Its the whole works 12 place settings. I also have a 20 piece set of Cambridge Rosepoint glassware. I inheridet these and several other sets. What way do you think I should sell it to get the most money for it. Both sets are in link new condition. I really dont want to sell it one piece at a time as it would require A LOT of boxes and take a long time.

Thanks.

Comments (10)

• lindac
    13 years ago

You would get the most money selling it a piece at a time. I know....it's a pain.
    The china isn't worth so much that you couldn't sell it as a set. maybe $600 to $800 for all
    But the rose point....hoo boy!! Big bucks! may be hard to sell right now, but you ought to have $50 per stem.....and that's a good deal for the buyer!

• jon1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks,
    What way do you think I should sell it? Just list each piece on E-bay as a "Buy it now price"
    Is there really demand for this stuff?

It would require a lot of boxes if I sold it individually.

• lindac
    13 years ago

Ack....I just looked on ebay.....and they are doing a "buy it now" for $20 a stem and less.
    Apparantly now is not the time to sell!!
    If you can hang on to them, I have no doubt taht they will again be selling for the price that good crystal should bring.
    The post office gives free flat rate priority shipping boxes.
    Linda C

• jon1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks,

I was thinking of listing the whole set of 88 Haviland as one lot. Then list it as a "buy it now or best offer". Maybe list if for $1100-1200. I know I might not get that much but its open to negiotion.
    Do you think there are people out there that would buy a large set of china??
    I know I would not make quite as much money as if I were to sell it piece by piece, but its not pratical for me to sell it that way. I would need a LOT of boxes too. i would sell the Cambridge the same way.

• gracie01 zone5 SW of Chicago
    13 years ago

It doesn't matter if you piece it out or not -- you're still going to need a lot of boxes to sell something that fragile. Oh, and a lot of bubble wrap. You can get free boxes from the post office. Or you could sell it on ebay as "local pickup only". Or try Craigs list.

• jon1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I can ship it in one large box and its much more efficient than smaller ones. Are the Priority Mail Boxes large enough to hold a dinner plate or vegatable plate?
    Selling it on craigs list would not get the right buyer. As its a very small market for this set.

• lindac
    13 years ago

I'm sure you know that the haviland is "newer"? Perhaps 1970 or newer.
    Have you a consignment auction house near where you are....I think that would be the best way to go and leave it up to the auctioneer as to how he sells it.

• jon1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes I think it was after 1970, but im not sure. I wanst even born then, I inhareted this set. I have looked at an auction house. But around here they dont sell to the right market,as they dont advertise so everything goes for pennys. Its more like a garage sale stuff.

• Ideefixe
    13 years ago

Replacements won't give you a ton of $$ but they're easy to deal with if you just want it to go away.

• cate52
    13 years ago

I wonder if you wouldn't be well off to advertise in a some sort of china collecters publication or at least contact some dealers.. get some sort of references &then find out if they would want to 'come pick it up' if you are not in a real hurry to sell.. I would think it will cost a fortune to pack & mail