Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bodiddley_gw

Help in indentifying Hasting Tyden-locked table

bodiddley
12 years ago

I have three estate pieces from my late father-in-law which we aren't quite sure about valuation or full descriptions of the pieces. I noticed a similar post in the forum, and thought maybe I'd try.

Below are some images of the table... assuming it's oak. Hastings Tyden-Locked tag. Certainly coudl use refinishing, I believe one of the leaves is original (Seems to fit) the others, some are VERY worn, and may not even be original.

The four chairs have the "Standard Furniture Company" tags. AGain, refinishing needed, tightening, one slat has come out of one chair.

Any thoughts appreciated!!!

Comments (9)

• chibimimi
    12 years ago

If the profile on the edges of the rough leaves match the edge profile on the table, it's possible that they are original and were stored somewhere less than optimal. Or the table and one leaf could have been refinished and the PO didn't bother with the other leaves, if they were never used.

• lindac
    12 years ago

It's a round oak table.....with leaves. The slide mechanism is Hastings.....the chairs were sold by the Standard Furniture Co....not necessarily made by them. So many companies made tables like that, that unless it's Haywood WakefiEld or another well known maker....it doesn't matter.
    The leaves may or may not match the table...I have been to a bunch of auctions where they sold stray table leaves....I bought a few to put in my round oak table...to use with a cloth.
    It's a particularly nice table because it has a spliT pedestal, which makes for a sturdier table. Mine rocks like a boat in a storm with leaves in it!
    I would figure out which leaves match best and refinish all....
    Then look for more chairs. I know the bottom has dropped out of the golden oak market, but that's a great set! Strong sturdy, useful....and classic.

• rendrag254
    11 years ago

I have a very similar table my grandma said her uncle/godfather John Geimer made it for her as a wedding present. The top, mechanism/sliders & lock looks the same but our pedestal is round not diamond shaped and has a more ornate turning to it our legs are also fancier & have caster. we only have a tyden lock tag on our lock not a big Hastings label like yours. Ours has five original leaves that look like yours but have metal peggy things to fit the leaves together were your's look like wooden pegs & ours are in better shape finish wise. we even still have a chair like yours but no tags on it & ours has had that leathery wood/cardboardy seat replaced years ago. Grandma had 12 chairs to start with as the table seats 12 with all 5 leaves but no matter how hard grandpa & dad tried the others died years ago but I remember the original seats from when I was really little & dad redid some with pad covered plywood because someone tried to stand on 1 & their foot went through that leathery composite stuff. I think my cousin might still have 6 of them in ok shape. We live in Rochester, NY (upstate)along lake Ontario. John Geimer was a local politician, furnature maker, & dog breeder. So you might have an original John Geimer

• sheilajoyce_gw
    11 years ago

My grandmother had a table like that. As a bride in the early 1900s, she lived in many parsonages in southern Illinois. They did not have their own house till the late '20s perhaps. No telling when they bought that table.

• bobklein
    9 years ago

just found this and although it is a very late posting it might be helpful to someone.

the tyden locking system is complete except you are missing two of the wooden slides on each side. without those slides it will not work correctly. Generally there would have been 5 leaves. All would fit and would probably be numbered on the long edge where the pins are located. These tables would open and up to three leaves could be inserted without opening the pedestal. With the last two leaves inserted the pedestal must be opened.

hope this is helpful to someone.

• HU-647601183
    3 years ago

Hello, I've been looking for the brochure that goes with my Hastings table and it looks like you have it. Mine is so old and ripped in half, so I need the full brochure...any chance you could sell it to me?

suzanneknight1@gmail.com

• first last
    6 months ago
    last modified: 6 months ago

i have exactly the same table. It was bought by my great aunt around 1910. She lived in Cross Anchor, SC but likely bought it in Atlanta or Columbia, SC. My family inherited it when she died and I shipped it from SC to Los Angeles when my parents moved out of the old family home. I am about to sell mine too. 15 years ago when I was deciding to ship it across the country I saw two of them for sale priced at around $800. That, by the was what it cost to box and ship it. This is the tag in mine.

-jon

• HU-977309921
    2 months ago

I have one of these tables. the sliding mechanism just stopped working when the table was refinished. does any know how the assembly should go together. my table has 7 leaves. Hopeful, Juliann

Sponsored
Asha Maía Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Fairfax County N