Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
damascusannie

Monarch sewing machine

damascusannie
16 years ago

For the gal with the questions about her Monarch:

It will most likely be a Japanese made 15 class machine. Does it have a plate at the base of the upright pillar that says "Precision Deluxe" or something like that? If it does, it's definitely a post-war Japanese 15. These flooded the American market under an almost limitless assortment of names. They came in several colors, black and turquoise are the most common but we also see blue, pink (most sought after by collectors), white, mocha and two-toned (also highly sought). They are fun to collect because they are quite common and still reasonably priced.

These are great machines. I use them for free-motion quilting and keep at least two on hand at all time. If it's a portable, you can get replacement motors and foot-pedals very reasonably. I can give you the name of a supplier if you need one.

Annie

Comments (18)

• daesaflgatorfan
    16 years ago

Thanx Annie. It does say "Precision Deluxe", and after a closer look, "Made In Japan". It is still in the original cabinet, and other than needing rewiring, should be in good order, as it's not too dirty. If I could get the motor open, I could rewire it myself. I appreciate the information!

• damascusannie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Keep me posted on your progress. They are excellent machines.

Annie

• daustin4075
    16 years ago

Annie, can you tell me anything about the "Black with Gold" trim Dial-O-Matic Monarch Sewing Machine. Year made, value, etc. It is a great quilting machine, and other than the portable carrying case showing some age, the machine is in excellent condition.

Thank you,
    Deborah

• damascusannie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Deborah: I really can't tell you the year made. Here's the deal, when the Marshall Plan went into effect in Japan after WWII, one of the things we did was basically give the plans for the Singer 15 sewing machine to them. It was felt that because Japan already had a well-trained factory system, including the ability to make high-grade steel, that sewing machines would be a good export product for them. Were they ever! The American and European markets were flooded with high-quality, inexpensive machines and in just a few years, most American manufacturers were forced out of business or bought out by Japanese companies. What this means for a collector is that the Japanese machines are common--more common than American machines of the same era--and therefore have minimal value in and of themselves. On the other hand, for a seamstress they are a bargain! For $20-50, you can get a really nice Japanese 15 and have a sewing machine that will out-sew a cheap new machine any day of the week. I use mine in my professional quilting business and regularly clean and refurbish them for resale to beginning quilters who need a reliable, easy to use first machine.

Annie

• daustin4075
    16 years ago

Annie,

Thank you! I also have an American Home model 910, and a Dressmaker model KNS-1000. Do you know anything about either of these machines?

I felt I was lucky to find all three machines, in their original cases with accessories and owners manuals included all for $55.00.

And ALL in good working condition also.

Deborah

• damascusannie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Deborah: It sounds like you need to check out some sewing machine forums. I recommend wefixit at yahoo for starters. They'll know more about these "modern" machines. My newest machine is a 1950s zig-zagger!

Annie

• anna_mse_hotmail_com
    13 years ago

where can i find a owners manual even if copied

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    13 years ago

where can i find a owners manual even if copied
    If it is an older machine, you might try the link below to see if she sells it.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Treadlers Village

• Tammy Stone
    8 years ago

I have one of the pink monarch 15 from japan (photo attached) where can I find out how much it is worth?

• woodrose
    8 years ago

Tammy, try this forum, lots of info about 15 clones and other vintage machines http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/

• viviana956
    8 years ago

hi annie, my mother has a Universal Sewing Machine, Model KNS 030611, DE LUXE ZIG ZAG, she has lost some parts from having for over 25 years, she is really in love with this machine. I would like to find some parts for her, i would really appreciate it if you could send me on the right direction. I have been googling and have not been able to find them. thank you !!!

• Sheilah Gibson
    8 years ago

Where can I get a foot-pedal?

• woodrose
    8 years ago

Good place for sewing machine parts : http://shop.sew-classic.com/1-Sewing-Machine-Parts_c2.htm

Sewing Machine manuals : http://ismacs.net/manuals.html

Complete list of all free sewing machine manuals available : http://ismacs.net/free-sewing-machine-manuals-list.html

If you have a Japanese-made Singer 15 clone, the Singer 15 manual may be useful to you.

• Danny Francis
    7 years ago

I have a Monarch sewing machine and the motor is smoking and so I need to replace it. Can you tell me anything about the motor specification?

• Danny Francis
    7 years ago

Where can I buy an O-ring for a Monarch sewing machine? The O-ring that makes the bobbing spin.

• woodrose
    7 years ago

Do you mean the rubber " tire " that's goes on the bobbin winder ? You can find those anywhere that sells sewing supplies. I think even Walmart has them.

• petalique
    7 years ago

Photos?

For bobbin tires, I usually buy from Sew Classic blog (shopping area). She sells lots of parts and accessories and has a lot of information as well. You can get a controller there ( "foot pedal") as well as spool pin felts.

• Jeri Frederick
    2 years ago

I have a pink machine for sale for 25.00 is anyone needs it for parts. Oct. 2021

caverjeri@gmail.com