Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
woooooo hooooo Linda....

Posted by patty_cakes (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 14, 10 at 18:20

I have a question for you. I have pictures similar to these, but mine are called French 'fashion plates'.

Can you tell me the difference, or are these 'fashion plates, also? TIA

Here is a link that might be useful: pictures....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: woooooo hooooo Linda....

The French term for fashion plate would be "gravure de mode" and I suspect this may be another way of putting it. Miroir means mirror, so it could just be a different turn of the phrase.

o

What you see are reproductions of French Fashion plates.
French fashion plates were like advertisemsnts for the latest fashions, hand colored lithographs or sometimes engravings that were in fashion magazines...like Mode Illustre....and often removed and framed..
Godey's Ladys' Book did the same thing...only these are "Godey's Ladies Prints".
La Mode Illustre original prints were folded in the middle ( a 19th century centerfold!!)....the repros are not anda re photographis crproductions.
If you look at your pictures through a magnifying glass....you will see either a series of small dots...or brush strokes....the dots show it'a a repro.
Good luck!!!
Linda C

o

Thanks everyone! I knew they were reproductions, just wanted to know the story behind them. ;o)

o

If it helps at all at this late date, "Miroir de la Mode" was a British fashion magazine published during the same time as Godeys and Peterson's and some of the other more familiar (to us) ladies magazines. The name means Mirror of Fashion. Its possible that these, and yours, are "real" but they aren't particularly rare. The prints that go for bigger prices are the earlier, Napoleonic era ones.

o

They are not real....the pictures shown are not fashions of the 1940's.

o

Well their not real in the sense that they're not 1940s fashion plates. The clothing is 1850s. They "might" be 1940s reprints of older fashion plates or they might be from the 1850s but you can't tell from the photos.

o

If you open the link in the first post, you will see they are prints from 1940's and pictures of 19th century fashions, therefor reproductions not the lithographs that they would have originally been.
Unless the person selling them doesn't know what she has....
Linda C

o

Thanks again cosmikcat and lindac. I *know they're repros of 1850's fashion, and from a magazine/newspaper of the 40's era. But lindac, I didn't understand your comment "unless the person selling them doesn't know what she has". A print is just that, a litho is an entirely 'different animal', and these *are* just prints. That's what 'I know' for sure. ;o)

o

Have you seen them? Ther is always the possibility that the seller never knew about original 1850 fashion prints, just knew they were popular in the 1940's.....and actually has some originals and thinks they are the "prints" from the 40's.
Slim chance....but always worth a closer look.
I have bought "repros" that were original but the seller didn't know. One memorable time a friend was downsizing and selling some of the stuff she had inherited from her mother in a garage sale. She was selling an 1880 blue "hand vase"....thought it was just a Fenton thing from the 1960....and she was selling some sterling silverware because it was "all dull" from the dishwasher. I polished one piece and brought it back!
Always look hard....but alas I think these are likely wysiwyg! LOL!
Linda C

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here