Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
satellitehead

Help ID this chair?

satellitehead
11 years ago

I thought I posted this already, but I'm not seeing it in the list. It's been a while since I last posted at GW and I think I might have missed the post confirmation page for some reason :)

I've had three of the pictured chairs in my climate-controlled basement for almost two decades. I would love to know more about them. I've only seen one like them, over ten years ago down in Miami, labeled as 40s-50s era, on sale for a whopping $350 (one chair). Store employee couldn't tell me anything more about it.

Can't find any identifying marks on them. Local shop I went to that deals in MCM furniture couldn't help. Hoping someone here may know.

Any help is appreciated!

Comments (6)

• patty_cakes
    11 years ago

Could be vintage Danish. It's hard to say, but there's a slight resemblance.

Here is a link that might be useful: chair

• satellitehead
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the feedback! I managed to get a local lead. I am told that the chair is circa 1956-1958 and made by Hickory White, Danish styling, but I have yet to find a picture or brochure or even so much as a match at this point, even with extensive google-thumping. :\

• satellitehead
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Finally, found one on the infamous auction site by thumping Google Images. I've been trying variations for days, finally found it looking for: vintage danish leather woven armchair

At the auction site, it's listed as 'Vintage Mid Century Danish Modern TOMLINSON Leather Safari Sling Lounge Chair', and searching for this term actually turns up pics of the chair, so ... guess that's it!

Here is a link that might be useful: TOMLINSON Leather Safari Sling Lounge Chair

• Seraph96
    10 years ago

Hi, I'm sorry for the late response to your post. I just noticed it today. Your chair was designed by John Lubberts and Lambert Mulder for Tomlinson Furniture of High Point, NC. It was part of their Sophisticate collection. Most of the patents for this product line were registered in 1957, though some of their pieces appeared in House Beautiful, Living for Young Homemakers and House & Garden as early as 1956. It was a successful line that sold well into the 60's with newer pieces being added each year to keep the line up to date. The catalog description of your chair is as follows:

"No. 61 SIDE AND ARM CHAIRS- Pecan. Seat and back of pre-stretched woven leather. Back rail is inset with spline to increase strength. Side Chair, 19"W x 22"D x 33"H. Arm Chair, 21"W x 22"D x 33"H. Straps - Black or Orange Leather only."

If you look under the chair bottom, you'll probably see the number 61 either printed or stamped. This is the catalog item number and not the year it was made as it is often mistaken. I've personally owned several pieces from this collection for decades and have actually been looking for the armless side chair version of yours for quite some time. Anyhow, I hope this information is helpful. I've uploaded some exerpts from the catalog that feature your particular chair.

• ckdnalley
    7 years ago

Seraph96, on the off-chance that you're still looking for these chairs, I have 6 of them (armless) that I'm trying to unload, as they're a "project" that never happened. The leather absolutely needs replacing, but the bones are in lovely condition. Feel free to message me (as soon as possible, as I have them up on craigslist, etc. right now) if these are still on your wish list! I came across this post while trying to get more information about their history (they have the paper patent tag stapled to the bottom of each chair, which gave me the lead). Cheers!

• wingfolk66
    7 years ago

ckdnalley neat chairs

I'll take thse chairs off you if you still have them.

Dan