Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Unique chair

Posted by minty88 (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 14, 13 at 16:13

Hi. I've been trying to find the value of this chair. Can't seem to find any like it. It has no markings on it. My mother found it in the basement of a house she bought back in the 50s. It was all beat up. She had it re-upholstered. Anyone have any ideas. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Unique chair

I have seen them called "straddle chairs" "gaming or gambling chairs" or "cockfighting chairs" .

They are meant to be sat on (by men, back then) with elbows propped on the back for the above activities.

o

Thank you. That will help my search on ebay.

o

It looks like mid-Victorian Renaissance Revival, with touches of Eastlake! Is it walnut? Lovely chair!

o

Thank you Chibimimi. I don't know what the wood is for sure.

I was thinking of selling it. But it is so pretty and unique. So now I'm thinking of having it reupholstered with something more neutral. But then again it is pretty just as it is.

o

I see what you mean Chibimimi. I just did some searches and can see some similarities with Eastlake.

Here is a closeup of the chair.

o

The "curly" wood is walnut burl. The body of the chair is probably walnut, although it's a little hard to tell on my monitor ... but it would be logical, givenI the burl and the style of the chair.

I would suggest reupholstering it in something more neutral, as you said. The current fabric is charming, but conflicts too much with the chair, so you don't notice the lovely lines and detail.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here