Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
javaandjazz

Metal art nouveau frame finish and maker?

Richard Dollard
12 years ago

I just found this old art nouveau frame at an antiques center, it had an old beveled piece of mirror glass that I took out for now. I am assuming it's cast iron(?) as a magnet sticks to it. It had a gold finish on it but it was so tarnished with green something that was growing on it. I cleaned most of the gunk and green off but in the process took off the gold wash, not a big deal to me. It coppery underneth now. Is it cast iron? I wouldn't mind putting a coat of paint on it as I have seen some old ones sprayed new at other antique places. What do you all think? Oh ya, does anyone know the maker? It has the number 240 in a lower corner in the back. It almost seems to be tarnsihing as it's drying out right now from cleaning.Not all the green is off I just noticed so it looks like I will be cleaning some more.

Comments (9)

• duluthinbloomz4
    12 years ago

cast iron with some kind of gold wash to pretty it up. That one is nice - but I'm fond of the style. Have seen these in "brass shops" and they're generally imports from India. With the little screws and swing arms to hold the frame contents in, the old mirror you removed likely had nothing to do with the frame originally.

• Richard Dollard
    Original Author
    12 years ago

You know, I am thinking the mirror is original to the frame, just because all of the green tarnish gunk was on the sides where someone would grabbed it and picked it up to look in the mirror. Thanks!!!

• lindac
    12 years ago

Much nicer than an Indian Brass shop item.....and it hold a magnet....so it has to be a ferrous metal...iron or steel.
    Looks very "silver-ish" to me....is there a coating on it?
    Lovely frame.....don't paint it....at least not yet....and put back the beveled glass.

• Richard Dollard
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Linda, I know it's not Indian. Maybe Bradley and Hubbard? I did put up the beat up beveled mirror back in and will take another picture when I get home from work tonight.

• calliope
    12 years ago

I think there's a pretty good chance it's brass or copper plated cast iron. The green gunk sort of hints at this. It was used a lot for decorative items in the Art Nouveau era and it makes me think it is likely authentic.

• Richard Dollard
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here is a pciture with the beveled old mirror inide the frame. That's why I am seeing copper underneath when I cleaned all of the green gunk off.

• antiquesilver
    12 years ago

What a great find. Absolutely beautiful.

• lindac
    12 years ago

I am guessing it was gilt over iron....and that's why it turned green.

• Richard Dollard
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I wish I didn't have to clean it as harsh as I did but it was just nasty and the green coating was very thick and hard. Probably from the last 110 years!