Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hoopster456_gw

Looking for information on a Furniture Maker

Hoopster456
11 years ago

I recently purchased an old vanity, and while I was loading it, I found a tag on the bottom of it that said it was made by "Helmers Manufacturing Company" in Kansas City, Missouri. I have been searching all over the internet but have not been able to find much out about this furniture maker.

I am hoping that there is someone out there who knows a little about the company, and maybe what something made by them would be worth.

I wish I had a picture to post of it, but I don't. I might try to add one when I get off work today. Its a really interesting piece of furniture, however a previous owner decided to spray paint it black (and did a very poor job of it). Hopefully I'll be able to bring it back to its original glory.

If anyone has any information regarding Helmers furniture, I would greatly appreciate it.

Comments (36)

• raetaylor
    11 years ago

Section 8 page 12 is company history.... Hope this helps!

Here is a link that might be useful: historical society Helmers

• Alicia
    7 years ago

I recently acquired a dresser from Helmer's. I have not seen a picture of anything like it yet online. A previous owner spray painted it black and I only found the name when I was sanding it. Hoping for info or approximate date of manufacture. It looks like it has been altered, the top 2 drawers push in further than the bottom, like there was a front panel maybe??

• Alicia
    7 years ago

I tried to attach a photo, but it didn't upload.

• User
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Long bio, but below is a link to the history of Helmer's Furniture.
    https://www.accessgenealogy.com/kansas/biography-of-henry-j-helmers-sr.htm

• sadkins82067
    7 years ago

I have a Helmers' dresser as well. It has two smaller top drawers and a larger bottom drawer (they too push in a little farther but I believe they are missing a back piece that kept them from pushing in too far which has come off). Does yours have a rectangular swivel mirror that attaches with two little slide pieces that connect by sliding into a metal tunnel? (don't know of the name of this piece) I believe that it was manufactured in the late 1800's possibly early 1900's. It was my great grandmothers dresser that was given to me by my grandma (who was born in 1913). Helmers' furniture was manufactured in Kansas City, Missouri and Leavenworth, Kansas. I hope that you were able to get yours back to its original glory (hopefully with the wood wheels intact) I am going to try and upload a photo, hope it works!!

• Alicia
    7 years ago

Mine does have the smaller drawers that push in too far. No mirror for it and no wheels. This is what it looks like so far.

• Alicia
    7 years ago

The picture made it look much wider & shorter than it really is. Here it is partially sanded

• matthewsiegmann
    7 years ago

My wife inherited an old Helmer's dresser that her grandmother found in the 1960's at a secondhand store in Nevada, MO (where she lived). It's missing the mirror, but we know it had a mirror at one time because the back of the dresser is stamped "mirror enclosed" or something to that affect. I too have been trying to find info for years on Helmer's and photos of their furniture. Apparently they are one of the lesser documented furniture makers.

Anyway, sadkins82067 do you have a photo of the mirror for your dresser (closeups of the hardware and such would be great too)? Yours looks similar to ours, except it is a three drawer stack with the top drawer having a divider down the middle. Also, if you look at the front edge where the drawer fronts rest, you should notice some notches (they may have been filled in, but if you look hard you'll see them). The notches are where the metal drawer stops were. I recommend wood blocks glued behind the drawers instead because the metal stops tear into a sagging drawer bottom (I have three different dressers including the Helmer's that have this problem).

mnugrad11, that's going to be a nice dresser when it's done. You may have figured this out already, but the bottom two drawers probably should be switched considering the design. I will say that yours looks to be anywhere from the 1920's through the 1950's based on the design.-

• User
    7 years ago

• matthewsiegmann
    7 years ago

Patti M, that's the exact same style of stamp that our dresser has. Nice wardrobe/dresser combo! When I have a minute, I'll take some photos of ours and upload them (transferring photos to the computer.. don't have smart phone... takes a minute for me).

• jemdandy
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

This may give a clue about Helmers Manufacturing.

https://www.bizapedia.com/mo/the-helmers-manufacturing-company.html

• jemdandy
    7 years ago
  • jemdandy
    7 years ago
  • jemdandy
    7 years ago

The background and beginning of the furniture business. Manufacture of furniture began in 1881.

http://www.ksgenweb.com/archives/1918ks/bioh/helmerhj.html

• jemdandy
    7 years ago
  • jacksilvia1
    7 years ago

mnugrad11 you are missing the front doors on it, I have one I am about to restore

• jacksilvia1
    7 years ago

• cathyyg
    7 years ago

Oh my goodness! When I was a child we had a cabinet in the bathroom that looked like the drawer and mirror half of that wardrobe/dresser. Sturdy, useful, sadly painted.

• Alicia
    7 years ago
    When I got mine the doors were missing. Took me a while to realize it, i wasnt sure if it was doors or what. When it got painted black the paint filled the hing holes. It works for me. I didnt need a dresser, it's an entertainment center in my basement now.
  • Alicia
    7 years ago
    I put the oil rubbed black hardware on it
  • jacksilvia1
    7 years ago

looks good, when I get finished with mine I will post pictures

• jacksilvia1
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Here is my Helmers chest of drawers finished but the glass knobs, the pictures for some reason are wider and shorter than the actual chest.

• Alicia
    6 years ago
    Jacksilva1. It looks good!!! I like it.
  • Alicia
    6 years ago
    I also had problems with the distortion of photos.
  • jacksilvia1
    6 years ago

thanks

• jacksilvia1
    6 years ago

on my phone they are distorted, but on my mac they look okay

• Holly Blevins
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Just bought the chest with mirror in wonderful condition at a thrift store in Sun City AZ for $150. I couldn't believe it. I am using it in my entry and do not have the mirror mounted. I fed her with Orange oil and bees wax and she shined up beautifully.

• HU-234849793
    4 years ago

I just bought matching nightstands that have the sticker on the back and the stamp in the drawer. Trying to find out exactly how old they are. They still have the original wheels as well.

• Jason Hoppe
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

$5

• Chasidy Hill
    3 years ago

I was recently given a dresser I guess that’s what you would call it anyways it’s by helmer‘s and it has a drawer that you would use a old skeleton key to unlock it but I don’t have the key and it is unlock. but I was trying to find information on It myself and see just how old it is! This is not a good pic will take a better one tomorrow!! if anyone can help me please I would appreciate it

• Chasidy Hill
    3 years ago

Here is the inside of the drawer

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    3 years ago

Looks like a sideboard/buffet with the locking drawer likely for silver. Try searching for that.

tj

• Jason Archimede
    3 years ago

I have an old Helmers rocking chair. I know nothing about. If anyone could tell me any information that would be great I will try to had photos of it

• Matthew Kube
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I just bought a Helmer vanity for my daughter...its been painted but the label was still on the back. Been trying to find out more info, year it was built etc.

• Brent Bradford
    3 years ago

Recently refinished a rocker. Other than Helmer tag stapled on bottom, purchased used in 1968 and have no additional information. Attached before and after pictures. Any input is appreciated.

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH