Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
French art glass clock

Posted by jasfind (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 25, 12 at 14:47

Hi. Can anyone ID this piece. The clock is 'ATC' with a glass face. It is app. 3 inches thick. Is it from the 'big' guy.Much thanks
john

Here is a link that might be useful: photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: French art glass clock

Don't know who the "big" guy is....but it looks like Lalique. Is it signed anywhere?
Linda C

o

I've seen this before, so I looked around. Lalique, 1928. 'Sirenes' But, like Linda said, look for a signature.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lalique

o

could be consolidated glass.

Here is a link that might be useful: ebay

o

Thank you all. The big guy of course would be Lalique.I can't find a signature.Is this type of clock/glass being copied?Sure all big names are to a degree.But this seems heavy and large for that
john

o

Those things are so labor intensive that there would be no point in copying....cost as much to copy you wouldn't make any money. I think it's lalique and you just haven't spotted the signature. Some pieces are marked with a molded in sort of square logo. If you are looking for the etched signature you might miss it.
Linda c

o

Hey Linda.Your making my Sunday into a whole new Holiday. BTW,I have all kinds of stuff that I would like thoughts on. Does this site like/dis-like a lot of questions from one person. Thanks for the thoughts
john

o

Ask away.....

o

I'm with Linda. Keep on looking. If it is Lalique, this particular piece could be worth an insane amount as well as being just plain gorgeous.

o

AH YES. I found the Lalique name. It was on the right hand side,bottom.I love that "insane amount " thing.
Thanks
john

o

The picture gave the impression that the huge bezel was not glass, but tooled copper. This is one of those times when you gotta be there to know for sure.

I don't see any means for winding the clock therefore it probably has an electric drive. This places it after 1900. If it is battery driven, it could be later than one driven from an electrical socket. Of course, it could be wound from the back, but this would be very unusual and inconvenient. Many spring driven shelf and wall clocks do not have a second hand; Many electric clocks do have second hands.

o

Hey Jemdandy.It was electric.The bezel isn't huge (6 inches). That link that Linda added ,had the clock at 1928. Thank s for thethoughts.
john

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here