Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jasfind

French art glass clock

jasfind
12 years ago

Hi. Can anyone ID this piece. The clock is 'ATC' with a glass face. It is app. 3 inches thick. Is it from the 'big' guy.Much thanks

john

Here is a link that might be useful: photobucket

Comments (11)

• lindac
    12 years ago

Don't know who the "big" guy is....but it looks like Lalique. Is it signed anywhere?
    Linda C

• Marvin Forssander-Baird
    12 years ago

I've seen this before, so I looked around. Lalique, 1928. 'Sirenes' But, like Linda said, look for a signature.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lalique

• Richard Dollard
    12 years ago

could be consolidated glass.

Here is a link that might be useful: ebay

• jasfind
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you all. The big guy of course would be Lalique.I can't find a signature.Is this type of clock/glass being copied?Sure all big names are to a degree.But this seems heavy and large for that
    john

• lindac
    12 years ago

Those things are so labor intensive that there would be no point in copying....cost as much to copy you wouldn't make any money. I think it's lalique and you just haven't spotted the signature. Some pieces are marked with a molded in sort of square logo. If you are looking for the etched signature you might miss it.
    Linda c

• jasfind
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hey Linda.Your making my Sunday into a whole new Holiday. BTW,I have all kinds of stuff that I would like thoughts on. Does this site like/dis-like a lot of questions from one person. Thanks for the thoughts
    john

• lindac
    12 years ago

Ask away.....

• Marvin Forssander-Baird
    12 years ago

I'm with Linda. Keep on looking. If it is Lalique, this particular piece could be worth an insane amount as well as being just plain gorgeous.

• jasfind
    Original Author
    12 years ago

AH YES. I found the Lalique name. It was on the right hand side,bottom.I love that "insane amount " thing.
    Thanks
    john

• jemdandy
    12 years ago

The picture gave the impression that the huge bezel was not glass, but tooled copper. This is one of those times when you gotta be there to know for sure.

I don't see any means for winding the clock therefore it probably has an electric drive. This places it after 1900. If it is battery driven, it could be later than one driven from an electrical socket. Of course, it could be wound from the back, but this would be very unusual and inconvenient. Many spring driven shelf and wall clocks do not have a second hand; Many electric clocks do have second hands.

• jasfind
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hey Jemdandy.It was electric.The bezel isn't huge (6 inches). That link that Linda added ,had the clock at 1928. Thank s for thethoughts.
    john