Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Early Heywood Wakefield Dining set

Posted by kcannard (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 24, 11 at 14:34

Hello, all. I have a circa 1920s-1930s Heywood Wakefield table and chairs. It's mission/arts & crafts style, not in the more famous mid-century modern H.W. style (but also not the later, largely less popular colonial style). Solid oak, round table with chunky pedestal column, a couple leaves, pretty typical mission-style chairs (6). My question -- I find it very odd that I can't find any others like this anywhere on the internet. Is that because there is no interest in non mid-mod Heywood Wakefield or because there are not many of them? It's from my husband's family, but they're thinking about selling it. The table is in pretty decent condition, but the chairs have been quite abused. Does anyone know if it has any value beyond its everyday utility as a table?

It's pretty similar to the one in this link and I do have pictures that I could post if it would actually be helpful.

http://philtaylorantiques.com/antiques/mission-oak-dining-table/

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Early Heywood Wakefield Dining set

Well, there's interest in pre-1937 HW WICKER but you're right, there's not much interest in pre-1937 HW wood furniture. Which is too bad because I'd rather have your table than that ....blonde bent stuff. :)

It's going to be hard to find pictures of anything that isn't a fashionable HW item. Sure, there are probably pictures of nice HW mahogany tables out there, but people don't know they're HW, because they don't bother to look for the HW tag, because it doesn't look like HW.

I think it's a pretty table. I am not certain but I think it would be valued on its aesthetic value alone.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here