Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
African elephant tusk sculpture - tourist junk or collectible?

Posted by Mike1911 (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 3, 12 at 14:22

This African sculpture passes the pin test for ivory - is it worth getting a professional appraisal ($)?

http://www.pbase.com/goatlips/african_ivory

Thanks! Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: African Ivory

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: African elephant tusk sculpture - tourist junk or collectible

I know next to nothing about ivory..
But...it's real ivory you say....appears to be from an elephant as opposed to walrus or boar's tusk.
Why do you want it appraised? To sell or for insurance or estate purposes?
It appears quite nicely done....but unless there is something about it I don't recognize, I can't think it would be worth more than....say $600.
Would it be worth it? suppose the appraiser said it were worth $1000? That worth it? would you believe him?
I say do some home work on the web.....and make your own appraisal.
Linda C

o

Thanks Linda! I've been all over the web and nothing I've found is as detailed as my piece, and are priced from $40 to $2200. I got this from an antique dealer's estate (he went mad and I helped a relative move his stuff) Guess I'll keep looking.

Thanks again,

Mike

o

The test for real ivory vs. plastic is to heat a pin and touch it to the piece somewhere unobtrusive. If it smells like burning hair, it's tusk or horn and if it smells chemically, it's plastic.

I think there are regulations about selling ivory that it has to be over a certain age.

o

You're right Pal. But the Pin doesn't tell if it's walrus or boar tusk or even bone.
I bought some bone beads once when I was out of the country. I had the shop be sure to write on the sales slip that they are bone not ivory.
I have also been to auctions where the auctioneer says "looks like it could be ivory but we don't know"....and get off the hook.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here