Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nanny2a

Can you identify this pattern and maker of silver

nanny2a
14 years ago

My husband was given this silver years and years ago, it came from a long deceased aunt. We have 6 place settings of his silver, which I blend with mine - I inherited my mothers 6 complete place settings of Gorham "Chantilly". It's great that we have enough mixed together for our large family, but I'd love to find out what the maker and pattern is of his aunt's silver. I sent photos in to Replacements twice asking them to identify it for me, and both times received no response. Can anyone here help identify it for me? You all seem to know so much about silver, I'm sure someone would know.

Comments (11)

• antiquesilver
    14 years ago

Nice pattern & I love that it's monogrammed on both sides - what's stamped on the back?

• lindac
    14 years ago

Also wondering about the mark....suspect it's American or English coin....
    And it's lovely!!...lucky you !
    Linda C

• nanny2a
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Antiquesilver, the front engraving is the family monogram, and the engraving on the back of each is the wedding date, July 17, 1907. The engraving up by the base of the utensils just says" Sterling", with a triangular shaped icon in front of the word Sterling. I haven't been able to find any other identifying marks on any of the pieces. After seeing your marvelous collection in the earlier post, I thought for sure that you would recognize this pattern and maker.......oh well, do you think you could make any guesses?

• nanny2a
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I thought of another question I had, some of the butter knives you've labeled in posts as "Master" butter knives. What determines whether a butter knife is just a simple butter knife or what feature does it have that distinguishes it as a "master" butter knife? I'm learning as I go here, and thoroughly enjoying everything you ladies can pass on to a novice collector.

• antiquesilver
    14 years ago

Nanny, your lovely silver may remain a mystery - I have several pieces without a maker's mark that I doubt I will ever identify. Many were made by small shops that sold to jewelers to stamp as their own or they did job work for larger companies.

Is there anything that resembles a 'W' inside the triangle? The maker that comes to mind with that symbol is William Wilson & Sons of Phila (1893-1909). They produced very high quality work & your forks seem to fall into that category but it is an off-the-wall guess without seeing the closeup of the triangle. I've looked through 2 pattern books & didn't come up with an exact match. Regardless, enjoy your silver - & don't worry about who its father was!

Master butter knives are larger (about 7-1/4" long, all-silver, & usually with an offset handle) & were used to take butter from the serving dish & place it on one's individual bread & butter plate. The individual spreader (approx 5-3/4") that accompanied the B&B dish was usually flat & used to spread the butter onto the roll or whatever. Large patterns sometimes offered the choice of all-silver spreaders or hollow handled with a plated blade, but either way, the spreaders are smaller & have more rounded tips than the Master Butter Knives.

Sorry I can't give you better id of your forks.

• antiquesilver
    14 years ago

It's not just a triangle - it's a flag/pennant, possibly with an 'H' in it. The maker is the Watson Company & the pattern is Mount Vernon introduced in 1907. I've always found their silver to be heavy & of the best quality. As soon as I'd hit 'submit' in the above post, it dawned on me to look more closely at Watson's patterns - that pennant is sometimes missing the pole & could easily pass as a simple triangle.

• sunnyca_gw
    14 years ago

Might help to know where aunt was from, English hallmarks have a couple of triangle shapes. Was she married in U.S. or another country? My silver book just has pics of a few of the many patterns & just names of rest so I didn't see it in the book. Did you try "English sterling flatware"? Might be on an English list!

• antiquesilver
    14 years ago

Apparently Mount Vernon had 2 sizes of Master Butter Knives & 2 sizes of spreaders available,according to Replacements Inc. There is a photo of the smaller MBK at 6-3/4" about the middle of the page although they don't have pics of the larger one or either one of the spreaders.

I believe the smaller utensils may have been used with luncheon sets as opposed to the dinner set that required the larger items. I've also heard that for large affairs that required more place settings than the hostess had, women were given the small sizes & men the larger.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sm MasterButter Knife

• nanny2a
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes! That IS the pattern, Antiquesilver, I found a site that shows the spoon and it is identical to what I have. I am confused, though, because this site dates the silver back to 1707? Could this be possible? I looked at the mark in bright sunlight with a magnifying lens and it does appear to be a pennant shape, but it's tiny and hard to see well. This is very heavy silver, and DH says that he always thought it had been in the family for some time before the aunt was married and was passed down to her with marriage and engraved when she wed into the family.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mount Vernon pattern w/Watson

• antiquesilver
    14 years ago

1707 is definitely a misprint. Sterling wasn't adopted as the standard in the US until after the Civil War, although a few companies used it before then, & Watson didn't come into being until the 1890's or so (I'm at work & I don't remember the exact year).

It looks like the new bride chose (or was given) the latest in silver patterns when she set up housekeeping. Someone had impressive tastes!

• nanny2a
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for all your help, antiquesilver. I talked to DH about it tonight, and he said it wasn't his aunts silver, but his grandmother's, not that it really makes any difference, but the initials had me confused, until he straightened me out. He was delighted to have it identified.