Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
curious about urn

Posted by blufish (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 16, 10 at 13:34

hi I bought this at an auction last year. It's just over 3 feet tall and is made of some kind of metal. Its covered in embossed images of Achilles, Leonidas, the Parthenon and others. The images are added to the body, not imprinted into it. The only marking on the bottom is "handmade in greece" in white hand lettering. I don't think its old & probably not made in Greece but I've given it to a family member & would like to include a bit of information if I can find some. I think the copper is painted onto tin. Any observations are very welcome!!!
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: curious about urn

Why do you think it was not made in Greece?

o

I would suspect it is a tourist piece--there is a huge tourist craft industry there--and that's why the "HAND MADE IN GREECE" is written in English. Maybe from the immediate postwar (WWII) period, when the US was mad for European high culture?

o

Thank you for your thoughts on this. I guess I just thought that anyone could hand write on something & I wondered if the printing was just added to make it more interesting at the auction. A tourist piece makes sense flyleft, thanks for posting!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here