Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cleaning pewter....

Posted by jaybird (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 22, 11 at 13:13

This may sound dumb, but I'm gonna' ask anyway!
I found a pair of candlesticks this weekend, that I am fairly sure are quite old and hand crafted. They have the lumps and bumps that would lead me to that assumption!
They are also COVERED with a fine(and in places NOT so fine) greasy black film. I'm guessing they were in a building that burned at some point in their lives. Washing with Dawn and warm water created dirty water, but did not clean the pewter. Then I tried the super fanciful humdinger special grease removal Dawn...more dirty water...not too much cleaner pewter.
Now what??????
If they were silver, no problem I have cleaned LOTS of silver, but this is the first time I have ever had to work on pewter. I also got a smallish coffee pot that has a handle that looks like ebony ????, the creamer and a sugar bowl. I haven't started working on those yet :^)
Many thanks in advance for any guidance.
J

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cleaning pewter....

Pictures would help....hate to see you clean something you shouldn't clean.
But if as you say, they are pewter and they are just greasy dirty....try boiling them in an old pot....with perhaps a pinch of dishwashing dry detergent...low sudsing meant for dishwashers....just a pinch!!
Post a picture of that coffee pot...it may be britannia or chrome plated copper....or pewter.
Linda C

o
RE: cleaning pewter....

Linda, I would love to show pictures, but alas no camera....I will try to catch a passing teenager to take some pictures and load them for me.
I had thought about boiling...think I will give it a try as the candlesticks are all one piece.
Thank you so much for answering.
J

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here