Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beckame

Wanted: Blue Bonnet Margarine Vintage Dolls

beckame
10 years ago

I've been collecting the Blue Bonnet Margarine promotional dolls for a few years now and my collection is almost complete. The had 3 different promotional collections called, Dolls of All Lands, American Heritage Dolls and Storybook Dolls. I've completed the first two mentioned, but I'm lacking a few from the Storybook Dolls collection. I need: Contrary Mary, Scheherazade, Little Nun, Liza and Red Rose. I search Ebay and Etsy almost everyday as well as a general internet search, but if anybody out there wants to sell these or knows of where I can find them, I'd greatly appreciate that. Thank you very much!
(PS: The picture is of some of my dolls, I need to take a new pic that shows them all!)

Comments (91)

• beckame
    Original Author
    8 years ago

And last, my Reddi-Wip "Storybook Dolls".

• beckame
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Here are the flyers associated with my dolls:

• beckame
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Just when I thought I had learned as much as I could about these kinds of dolls, I found out that Welch's Fruit Drinks also promotioned virtually identical dolls to Reddi-Wip's called, "Let's Pretend" Dolls! So, I'm on another mission, here is the flyer I found and bought. I have most of the dolls, just need 2 more. I'll post pictures of them, I'm still working on restoring them, they weren't in the best shape when I bought them.

• beckame
    Original Author
    8 years ago

If anyone out there has these two dolls and is willing to sell them, please contact me at tinklie@aol.com. I need them to complete my set. Thank you very much.

Indonesia and Romania

• Karen LoRusso
    8 years ago

I have just purchased a wholesale e-bay listing that had 13 different dolls from around the world. The seller must not have done any research before selling, because thanks to this posting I have found out what the dolls are! 10 of the dolls are different Reddi-wip "Dolls of the world". thanks to the photos you have beKame.

There is one doll I can not place. Maybe you can help?

• beckame
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

This one looks to be from Blue Bonnet Margarine's "Dolls of All Lands" and is Germany. I'm really curious, I'm always on the lookout on ebay and I didn't see these, would you do me a favor and email me the listing number? I'd love to take a closer look! Thanks a bunch, email is tinklie@aol.com.

• Karen LoRusso
    8 years ago

this is the photo from the listing. I can't figure out the listing number. It was under wholesale lots. I am going to be placing most of the dolls back up for sale individually. My name on e-bay is caraneldriel if you would like to take a look. Also if you think I should change the pricing of them could you give me any ideas?!?!

Thanks!!

• beckame
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Oh yes, I was watching that one! But I'm so sorry, I never thought of mentioning that Reddi-Wip's "Dolls of Many Lands" have painted on shoes, not the kind that can be removed. So your little ladies are from Blue Bonnet Margarine's "Dolls of All Lands". I'm so sorry I didn't catch that before. You still got them at a great price, but to be honest, it's very hard reselling them at a profit (no matter who they are) and there are a couple things I see; Eskimo has lost her boots which are nearly impossible to find. Do the rest have their shoes? Again, replacing them is very hard. France has lost her little basket of flowers, again odds are you'll never find it and if you do, most sellers want too much. Missing these lowers the value for most collectors. I can see England needs a little work on the trim, but that's not too hard, maybe sewing glue (I forgot the name!) would be the best to use there. I did find where you listed them separately, but they rarely go for more than about $1.25 each, but don't change it (just where they're from), you just never know. It can be a real surprise when someone buys them at what you want! And free shipping is always a plus!

• Karen LoRusso
    8 years ago

Thanks!

• beckame
    Original Author
    7 years ago

It's been a while since I've been on, I'm still searching for "Romania" to complete my Welch's Fruit Drinks collection. I did find her on ebay about 8 months ago, but the seller was asking way, way too much for her, so I'm still searching. Thanks to anyone who may have her and is willing to part with her for a fair price. :)

• Meg O'Connor
    7 years ago

I really don't mean to offend you, but I can't think of another way to ask this question...is it the "old Americana" factor or the age of them that makes these dolls so collectible or what? I have Madame Alexander storybook dolls and dolls of all lands and the costumes look so much better made (higher quality fabric and lace on them) that no one seems to collect anymore? I love the way you have all your dolls displayed!

beckame thanked Meg O'Connor
  • beckame
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Oh my goodness! You're not offending at all! Honestly, they really aren't that collectable, at least that's my understanding. You're very correct in saying the clothing is much better on Madame Alexanders and others like that, Nancy Ann's for example. The clothing on the type I collect was better when they first starting making them in the 50's, those are still stapled on, but they have painted on shoes & are rubber band joined. I don't know much about Madame Alexanders, but I do know the quality is way better, plus, the clothes can be removed, right? As far as why, I'm guessing for the few people that do collect them, at lease for myself, it brings back sweet memories of when daddys would bring one home after going to the gas station! Others that got them though promotions by sending in box tops or labels is perhaps a fond memory of when they would do this with their moms. And it could also be what you said. I hope to some day get glass cases for them, but for now, this will do!

• Meg O'Connor
    7 years ago

Yup...at a certain point in life, those small things and surprises from parents are treasured memories.

beckame thanked Meg O'Connor
  • beckame
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hi Leah, now that's a great question, one I don't have the answer to. I've had them so long and I was so young when my dad got them for me that I honestly don't remember which one he brought home first. It's very possible they came out in the order of the flyer, top ones first, left to right, but that's just a guess. So you plan on selling yours? I can tell you one thing, they are worth more in box, but even so, they just don't seem to sell very high. On ebay, I've watched them for several years and I've seen some sellers try to get $75 for the entire set, but they never sold them for that. On average, all 12 in box goes for about $50.00, give or take. The only problem with yours is because you've never removed them, it would be hard to take pictures, obviously, but the advantage is they're basically brand new if the seal isn't broken. Now I once bought the same type doll in box that the seller stated were perfect; they were not. A few had broken arms, the feather had disintegrated, the fur was shedding badly, one apron was disintegrated and some had other minor damage. This seller clearly didn't inspect them and could have, the tape had been broken, but I ended up getting a partial refund, but not a great experience for the seller or me. My point here is because you haven't taken them out, you would need to be very clear about that and the only photo you could use would be one of they flyer and of the unopened boxes. I wouldn't mind at all sending you a photo of they flyer I have, but I do have a question. ARCO had put out 2 series of these dolls (read my comments above about that) and if you do want a picture, let me know which one. Well, sorry I've gone on so long, take care!

• Katie Burns
    7 years ago

Does anyone need these dolls - I don't know all there names...

• beckame
    Original Author
    7 years ago

It depends on what you asking for them, I love to buy them and restore them. These pretties are from Blue Bonnet Margarine's collections, Dolls of All Lands, American Heritage Dolls & Storybook Dolls. Top picture, left to right is Scotland-DoAL, Blue Bonnet Sue-AHD & SD (missing hat), Mexico-DoAL (missing shawl), Queen of Sheba-SD. Next, Italy, Germany, Nigeria (missing headpiece), Denmark (missing red vest & hat)-all DoAL. Next pic, Red Riding Hood-(missing cape & basket of fruit), Rapunzel, Cinderella (missing slipper tied to wrist)-all SD, & Ireland (missing feather in hat)-DoAL. Last, Snow White, Fairy Princess (missing wand & crown)-both SD, Spain-DoAL, Southern Belle (missing feather in hat)-AHD & England (missing crown)-DoAL. With items missing, the value goes way down. You don't show their shoes, over the years, these often got lost and will lower the value even more, they're nearly impossible to find to replace. The fraying is a very common occurrence, but not to hard to remedy, I trim and use a thin layer of fabric glue to stop an further damage. Or I'm sure some people use that fray stop spray, it's just expensive stuff! Anyway, hope this helps and if you do want to sell them, let me know. Have a great day!

• Timothy Atwood
    6 years ago

How do I contact you? I have over 100 of these from the 60's with original boxes.

beckame thanked Timothy Atwood
  • beckame
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I'm so sorry I didn't respond sooner, forgot to check my email. Anyway, contact me at tinklie@aol.com and if you can take pictures, I'd love to see them. Thank you!

• Chris Itayem
    5 years ago

Hi There. I have approximately 34 of the Blue Bonnet Margarine dolls. I think most are the storybook collection but a few might be from other collections. I do have better pic's and individual photo's as well but is anyone interested in purchasing any of these? unfortunately, most do not have boxes they were stored in plastic and in a plastic tote for a number of years.

• Chris Itayem
    5 years ago

Also, can anyone provide me with any information on these dolls? my grandmother left them for me and unfortunately I have no info on them.

• maddielee
    5 years ago

Chris, the last pics you posted look like Madame Alexander dolls. Very popular in the 50s when little girls (like me) received "Bride Dolls" from Santa. There are groups you can find on the internet dedicated to Madame Alexander where you might be able to find the names of yours.

• Chris Itayem
    5 years ago

that's great, thank you so much, maddielee. it certainly gives me a starting place! appreciate your help!

• PRO
    Shell
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

?

• Becky Torres
    5 years ago

Hi Chris, sorry I didn't answer sooner, I was away for a mini vacation. Anyway, I also got your email, I'm looking at that now. I'd be interested in buying them, I'll respond to your email after I check it out!

• PRO
    Kandace
    5 years ago

I'm just seeing this page and my grandma he's 31 different blue bonnt dolls of the world to

• PRO
    Kandace
    5 years ago

To

• beckame
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@Kandace, your grandma must have either a duplicate or an extra from one of the other Blue Bonnet Margarine's set because there are only 30 in the Dolls of All Lands. If you can take pictures of them, I can tell you which collection that extra doll belongs to. :)

• PRO
    Kandace
    5 years ago

Do you have an email I can send you the photo to for some reason due to memory it isn't allowing me to upload the

• beckame
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Sure, it's tinklie@aol.com. Send them when you get a chance. ;)

• HU-406241598
    5 years ago

Hello. Does anyone know when the 15 Reddi-Wip 'Dolls of all Lands' were made? I have 8 boxes, 7 of which were never opened. I opened 1 to see what they look like...very interesting.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

• beckame
    Original Author
    5 years ago

If she's rubber band joined, they're from the 50's-60's; if they have removable shoes, flange joints, (not sure if that's the correct word, but not rubber banded), then they're from the 70's. They added 15 more dolls to the collection, making it 30 in all.

• HU-406241598
    5 years ago

Hello. Thanks so much for the reply. This 1 doll that I opened does NOT have removable shoes. Also the addresses on the boxes do not have zip codes, that is why I am leaning towards the 50's. Not sure how to tell if rubber banded, this opened doll is in perfect shape, no limbs loose or hanging. In your opinion, do you think these are part of the original 15? Thanks again and look forward to your response!

• HU-406241598
    5 years ago

• beckame
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Yes, they're definitely from the 50's then and they would be rubber band joined. You can just very gently tug on her head or arm and you should be able to see that. And the doll you took a picture of is France and yes, part of the original 15. Her basket of flowers is unique too, the ones I've seen (and have) have a small, round basket with a handle. I've never seen small flyer with just 15, it's great to see this. I have a color ad/flyer that has the 30 I mention (if you scroll almost all the way up, you'll see it). The only thing I haven't been able to confirm is who made the dolls for Reddi-Wip, I hope I find out who some day, I'm always researching these dolls, I love knowing as much as possible about them as they're the only kind I personally collect.

• HU-406241598
    5 years ago

Thanks so much for the information....appreciate it! Being from the 50's, I guess there are not that many boxes that are still sealed, being over 60 years old...pretty amazing!

Here is a photo of my 8 dolls, 7 of which are still unopened.

• HU-406241598
    5 years ago

• nshibou
    3 years ago

Are these Blue Bonnet dolls? Anyone have a list to know which one each is?

• Becky Torres
    3 years ago

No, nshibou, I'm fairly certain these are TWA dolls, "Dolls from the World of Trans World Airlines". If they were Blue Bonnet's, there would be a Blue Bonnet Sue who was U.S. in their set. The 13th doll over from the left, is U.S. in this collection. This is TWA's 2nd version that they sold in the 70's, the first version was in the 50's. Unless I mistaken, yours should all have removable shoes and are socket joined. This flyer shows most of them and is from the 50's, but they used the same country names for the 70's version. You have left to right: Eskimo, Denmark, England,Belgium, Germany, Polynesia (basket isn't hers), Indonesia, China (basket belongs to her), Holland, Poland, Sweden, Switzerland, U.S., Russia, Ireland, Jamaica, Brazil, Mexico, Spain, Romania & Italy.

• Linda Braswell
    3 years ago

I have 3. See photo. Interested?

• beckame
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I love them so much and I'm tempted, but I have these. The is Blue Bonnet Sue, who was U.S. in Blue Bonnet Margarine's collections, then Mary Poppins-missing her parasol and the yarn ribbon should be there on her hat and Mary and Her Lamb-missing her little plastic lamb tied to her wrist.

• Jenni Stark
    3 years ago

my aunt gave me these dolls that she had when she was young. Probably 1950’s timeframe. Are these Dolls of all Lands? Any idea on value? They all have the original cardboard backing, but no boxes. I have Ireland, Sweden, Greece, France, Hungary, Italy and Spain. Thank you!

• beckame
    Original Author
    3 years ago

They might be, but I'd need to see pictures of them. Those with that cardboard backing came in square, cellophane windowed boxes, but I'd need to see them first to tell you if they are Dolls of All Lands, but I can tell you they wouldn't be from the ones I mention above as those came in small, cardboard mailing boxes. The ones your aunt gave you were most likely bought at a department store.

• Jenni Stark
    3 years ago

Photos:

• beckame
    Original Author
    3 years ago

So pretty! No, these aren't Dolls of All Lands, they're Duchess Dolls and the box would have read "Dolls of All Nations". Hopefully, whoever wrote the country names on the cardboard are all correct, it looks like they are. They're in wonderful condition, but without the full box lid & bottom, the value does go down some. I just sold Gibson Girl and Cowboy in box on ebay and got $15.00 (plus shipping), but I think I just got lucky. It seems they're not as desirable these last few years. But if it were me, if you do use ebay, start around $10.00. And yes, all from the 50's. If you can, gently pull down at the back of their tops and you might be able to see their mark, I've attached a picture of that, but note, this date is a copyright date and those first ones had painted eyes, the sleepy eyed ones came out in the 50's

• Jenni Stark
    3 years ago

Thank you so much! I really appreciate your help! 😊

• beckame
    Original Author
    3 years ago

You're most welcome!

• Lisa Schambach
    3 years ago

Hi All!

I volunteer serving seniors. One of my clients has a doll collection that she is looking to sell. I need help in identifying them. She says the are from the ARCO promotions but in doing research, I see there were only 12. She has most of those (I believe) but also some others that are just slightly different (from other nations? and other promotions?) Can anyone help me identify them? There are 36 in total. Any idea on worth? Thanks for any help - please see the pics below...

• Becky Torres
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I'm so sorry for the late reply. Yes, many are from ARCO, but you're correct, some are not. The easiest way is for you to actually contact me directly at tinklie@aol.com. Please attach theses same pictures, it's the easiest way for me to give you identities on each one.

• HU-335279520
    last year

After much research I finally found some information on the dolls I used to collect with my mom. I believe they are the blue bonnet dolls from the 70's with the removable shoes. I do not have them all and they are not in the boxes. I was just wondering if someone out there collects these and may need 1 or 2 to complete the collection. I may have a flag or basket of flowers they are missing. I was just not sure how to to go about doing this. Any help is appreciated. I collect a lot of things and I know how happy I am when I find a missing piece.

Djcafe96@gmail.com