Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wanted: Blue Bonnet Margarine Vintage Dolls

Posted by beckame (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 14, 14 at 13:03

I've been collecting the Blue Bonnet Margarine promotional dolls for a few years now and my collection is almost complete. The had 3 different promotional collections called, Dolls of All Lands, American Heritage Dolls and Storybook Dolls. I've completed the first two mentioned, but I'm lacking a few from the Storybook Dolls collection. I need: Contrary Mary, Scheherazade, Little Nun, Liza and Red Rose. I search Ebay and Etsy almost everyday as well as a general internet search, but if anybody out there wants to sell these or knows of where I can find them, I'd greatly appreciate that. Thank you very much!
(PS: The picture is of some of my dolls, I need to take a new pic that shows them all!)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wanted: Blue Bonnet Margarine Vintage Dolls

These are great! Beautiful condition for their age. I used to have them when I was a child but haven't seen any in years and never in such great shape! Do you restore them or just find them looking so good?

o

Both, actually. I've had the ARCO collection (see pic), "12 Beautiful Dolls of the World" since I was very young and found a many of my Blue Bonnet dolls at a local thrift store in their original boxes and in great shape. I never knew they had them, my ARCO dolls look virtually identical to Blue Bonnet's only there are 30 in theirs called, "Dolls of All Lands". I've been collecting them for a few years now and sometimes I do bit of restoring on them, but for the most part for as old as they are, they are remarkably durable! Thank you for the comment!

o

I am so glad I found you. I was about to start listing my mom's dolls for sale on ebay. I have a dozen or so of these dolls. I think you may already have a few of the same ones. When I get home from work today, I will take pictures of the ones that I have so I can show them to you. Then if you like what you see you can let me know which ones you would like and make your offer on them.

o

OH YEAH!! Thank you so much for the posting! If you have the ones I'm looking for, you'll make my day! I look forward to seeing the pictures. Thank you again!! :)

o

• Posted by raee zone 5 OH (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 13, 14 at 12:18

Thank you for posting your pics. I had some of these dolls (the international ones, I remember Dutch, Spain, German, a Scandanavian one, maybe Danish?) Played with them daily when I was about 10 years old. Brought back memories! Were they all female, though? Seems like I remember having at least one fellow.

o

@raee, yes, they were all female, but in my search to complete my collection, I found VERY similar dolls that are called, "Carlson Dolls". They had both male and female in their collection and from what I can tell, no collection name, just many various dolls like George Washington, Paul Revere and Native American dolls, also male and female. They also had some international type dolls, but those seem a bit more rare. They look like they have the same body as Blue Bonnet and ARCO dolls, but the people that put them together made little leather or faux leather shoes for most of them. The Scandinavian doll you mention could be Holland, or Dutch Amsterdam or Little Goose Girl, or possibly some other name, I'd need to see a pic to be sure. I played with my ARCO girls a little bit too!

o

Thu, Mar 13, 14 at 13:11

I went on a google/bing search (see what you started!) and found an advertising flier for the promotion which shows that there were Danish, Norwegian and Swedish versions. Maybe they had more than one version of the series?
We didn't have ARCO stations, but I came across a reference to Shell dolls of the world -- the pictured Shell Scottish doll was the one that I had! So I must have had a mix of Blue Bonnet and Shell dolls.

o

LOL!! Do you have the link to that ad flyer? I like keeping up on the various collections and I do recall something vague about Shell also having these kind of dolls. Did you know Kraft Cheese and Redi-Wip also did this? I have those too and I'll post pics of them soon!

o

Thu, Mar 13, 14 at 13:53

Looking at them again, actually only one of those dolls looks familiar. Wish I could find a pic of the entire Shell collection; now I'd bet most of mine came from there.

No, never knew of the cheese or Redi-wip. I vaguely remember my mother sending away for the Blue Bonnet premium, which is why I though all my dolls were from that.

Here is a link that might be useful: here is the link

o

Now I'm going to be on the look out for the Shell dolls! I agree, you must have a combination of both. Either way, even though it seems they aren't highly desirable, I personally think they are so lovely! And I've seen that flyer before, but thank you for the link. Have a great day!

PS: If you ever get a chance, I'd love to see pics of your dolls.

This post was edited by beckame on Fri, Mar 14, 14 at 12:00

o

Update: I found Red Rose, Little Nun and Queen of Sheba! So I'm still on the lookout for Contrary Mary, Scheherazade and Liza! Thank you again for all the nice comments. Here are links to what they look like:
Contrary Mary:
http://tinyurl.com/omkkr38
Scheherazade: http://alturl.com/cmypv or
http://tinyurl.com/nq2qt7b (2nd pic, doll in upper left corner, pink dress)
Liza: http://tinyurl.com/poqxhbl

o

Still searching for Contrary Mary, Scheherazade and Liza. Please see above email for links to pictures of these dolls. Thank you very much!

o

Don't waste your time trying to sell them on Ebay. I collected dolls for over 20 years and those dolls were trashed by 95% of the collectors I know. They have no value except for the pleasure you get out of collecting them. Sorry.

o

I've actually had pretty good luck selling on Ebay any duplicates I got. I do agree with you about the value as many Ebayer's overprice them; I've seen Scheherazade on Ebay, but I won't ever pay what that Ebayer has her listed for. They usually learn by that and lower the price. The ones I do have, I have no intention at all to sell them.

o

I still have some dolls I can't sell. Occasionally I check them out on Ebay to see if they are selling. I check the "completed" sales, that tells you if they sold or not and for how much. The only dolls I see that are valuable are the extremely rare ones that were collectable before everyone and his uncle started collecting years ago.

o

Same here, it seems the country dolls aren't as popular as the storybook or heritage dolls. But I still think they're so pretty! I did find Mary Contrary and Liza on another site, but again, this person is asking WAY too much for them, so I'm still on the lookout for the 3 above mentioned dolls, thank you for all your input!

o

Just an update, only searching for Scheherazade now. And I thought I'd share of pic of my Kraft Natural Sliced Cheese "Beautiful Dolls of Many Lands".

o

And here are my Reddi-Wip ladies, "Dolls of Many Lands"!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here