Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Victorian jacket? Identification

Posted by jaydahn (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 27, 13 at 12:48

Hi

This is another item which I found at the same estate sale as the teapots I'm trying to identify. This is, I think, a Victorian, maybe mourning jacket? I am going to attach a few more pictures. It is in gorgeous condition considering the age. If you think you have any ideas of age, value etc. I would love any feedback on it :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Victorian jacket? Identification follow up

here is another picture of the jacket

o
RE: Victorian jacket? Identification

All I see is a dark blob on a dark background. Please post some pictures with better lighting so the sleeve detail can be seen. And the general shape of the jacket body.

o

lazygardens - try adjusting your monitor. :) I can see the jacket very well on mine so your computer's contrast may be off. It looks like late Victorian, but I'm no expert. It's absolutely beautiful!

o

All the other pictures are looking OK.

o

Possibly so, lazygardens, but they might look even better with your monitor adjusted. I'm looking at the jacket photos on a mini laptop and can see the detail quite well, though I would like to see the sleeves stretched out so I can tell if it's actually a jacket or a capelet.

o

I don't know clothing, but that garment appears to me as old style and high quality. It is something m'lady would wear to church or a formal gathering. It could be funeral attire. My guess for a date is 1900.

o

I, too, can see the pictures just fine on my iPad. Pretty jacket.

Is it handsewn?

ML

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here