Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
fork, plug, glass

Posted by walkabout1935 (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 20, 12 at 12:08

I need some information about these items. FoRk: 4 5/8 inches long. Do you know the pattern, what do thes marks mean c in a square, cero inclosed 90 in a circle.PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket GlAsS: a molded scoop 5 inches long with a curved handle. It must have made for some specific purpose. Do you know what. PlUg: wood with writing on side in a circle reads: FISHER'S patents #1477352 #154?824. 4 inches long 1 3/8 inches across the dark side 1 inche across the light colored side. Has a core through the middle.PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: fork, plug, glass

Can't give you much info on the fork....it's not sterling, of course....may not even be silver at all. I have various bits and pieces of flatware which are things like German silver ( which isn't silver) and even what appears to be aluminum.
The cork is the stopper from what probably was a whiskey jug or vinegar jug. The ladle is a condiment ladle and at one time probably had a dish in a matching pattern.
Linda C

o

The fork is silverplate, indicated by the '90', & probably from Holland, per the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: SMPublishing forum

o

That doesn't look like cork, it looks wooden from the photograph, anyway. My guess would be an old bung plug for a barrel. Probably got stuck at one time and somebody drilled it out so they could yank it, because the gunk in the middle looks like filler. How deep is it?

o

I've seen a few jugs with wooden "corks"....But given the writing, a bung plug does make more sense.

o

It's a bung, like I figured. Only it's a specific type of bung, it's a fermentation bung. Since it had a patent number on it, knew it had to be some kind of special bung, and not just a barrel plug. I found the patent description and drawing. Or at least one of them. It is indeed granted to Fischer #1545824 the correct spelling would have helped. It has indeed had the middle puttied up, because that's where the gas relief tube would have fit. It was patented in 1923. Could not find the first patent, sure you got it right?

o

Calliope. thanks so much for the unformation. as best as I can tell the # reads 1477352. again tks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here