Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kitteh_gw

identify old vanity

kitteh
11 years ago

I'm not that good with furniture but I would like to know at least when this was probably made - even better a complete lesson if you can tell from the pictures. It did have a mirror that was fairy round too, not sure if it was original, but it was going to cost additional and I wanted this for a desk anyway.

It looks like it was originally pale pink before the white, and there was a little star with what maybe was an '8' on the casters but it didn't appear in the picture.

The only screw I saw is that inside a drawer (the other handles were inside the drawer) - the wood grain picture is from a drawer as are the dovetails, which confuse me since the straight ones look machine made but the others don't look uniform. The little upper drawers are not connected to the main part, and one was repaired on the front - the part that is not painted.

Comments (3)

• chibimimi
    11 years ago

This looks like a '20s or '30s piece to me. Can you tell if the wood was originally varnished/lacquered, or always painted? Sometimes these pieces were meant to be painted and were made from a mix of wood varieties, so they are difficult to redo in a natural finish

• kitteh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I think maybe there was laquer as the main outer pieces were darker and smooth, but it looks removed or something from one drawer (the groove is not as deep in that drawer as the other too). the desk other than that is like the darker bit on the top.

This post was edited by kitteh on Wed, Feb 13, 13 at 8:48

• jemdandy
    11 years ago

You might get a clue from the caster. The wheel may be formed from two pieces of pressed steel and mounted back-to-back.