Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jaydahn

Teapot identification

jaydahn
11 years ago

Hello I found this and another interesting teapot at an estate sale. I would like help identifying it. I do know that the stamp on the bottom is the the royal coat of arms, but I don't know the pattern or age of the teapot. The other is covered in characters and there is no identifying marks on the bottom. The teapot is unglazed on the outside and glazed on the interior.

Comments (11)

• jaydahn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is a picture of the second teapot

• mfrog
    11 years ago

Neither look familiar. Photos of the marks on the base. I'm not sure what is meant by "royal coat of arms", so will definitely need pics. mfrog

• jaydahn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

bottom of the rooster teapot

• jaydahn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

bottom of Asian tea pot no markings

• mfrog
    11 years ago

The asian teapot I can't tell you anything about, other than I don't think it's very old, but I could be wrong! :) Sorry to not be much help to you, hopefully someone else will chime in here with more knowledge.

You were right about the mark looking like the royal coat of arms. Here's a quote from Kovels about the mark & similar.

"Marks like this, showing a lion and unicorn surrounding a shield topped with a crown, were used by many potteries. Although the mark looks similar to the Royal Coat of Arms of the United Kingdom, it is actually one of several similar marks used by potteries in the United States and Europe. This mark was used by the Potter's Co-operative Company on ironstone table and toilet ware from 1882 to c.1895. The co-operative was formed by a group of potters in East Liverpool, Ohio, in 1882 after a labor dispute. The group bought the Dresden Pottery Works and began making ironstone table and toilet ware. The pottery was bought by the Dresden Pottery Works in 1925. The company was out of business by 1927."

• lazy_gardens
    11 years ago

I entered carousel teapot chicken spout in Google :)

You have a Crown Devon Funfair Merry-Go- Round Carousel Teapot ...

or maybe a Melba Merry Go Round Novelty Tea Pot in a different colorway, or just horrible faded. If they were painted with that "cold glaze" that cookie jars often were, they fade in the dishwasher.

http://www.decorativearts.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=27&products_id=396

http://www.decorativeart.co.uk/coukcatind18.htm

• jaydahn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for getting back to me I will have to check those tea pots out, but the colour is not faded this one has like a opal or pink iridescent finish on it and is in really good shape again thanks for helping

• jaydahn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi I looked at the link you sent again it is definitely the same tea pot almost identical but different colour this one has opal sheen finish to it thank you

• lazy_gardens
    11 years ago

You would have to check to see which color schemes that pot was made in.

The other pot ???? It's probably Chinese or Japanese, but that's all one can say about it. It's a pretty pot, and would look good with some black squarish cups.

• jaydahn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi thank you for the update on the teapot. It must be, as you said maybe another color scheme for the same pot,it seemed easy once you had ID'd the pot, but I am still having trouble finding the same one, but I'm going to keep looking, and the other pot Would look wonderful with some black squarish cups :)

• Vince Williams
    last year